cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre phone service

Grahamj1
Joining in

I need to buy a new landline phone which is compatible to the new service but not sure what to look for? I can't see any mention on any phone specifications

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Grahamj1 wrote:

I need to buy a new landline phone which is compatible to the new service but not sure what to look for? I can't see any mention on any phone specifications

Unless your handsets are very old there is no need to change them. Your hub has the necessary kit to allow most current landline phones to “plug & play” via a provided BT to RJ11 adaptor. VoIP phones are only required if you are using separate phone services like Sipgate where your calls are routed through the internet. These phones use the Ethernet sockets on the hub, not the dedicated RJ11 TEL ports, which are exclusive to VMs phone service.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Grahamj1,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. Can we ask if you're talking about our new phone system which will be through your hub?

In theory, most DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) phones will work with the Hub 3.

We would recommend checking the returns policy just in case there are any issues with your purchase.

For more information on the switchover please check the link here.

Kind regards Jodi. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Grahamj1 wrote:

Unless your handsets are very old there is no need to change them. Your hub has the necessary kit to allow most current landline phones to “plug & play” via a provided BT to RJ11 adaptor. VoIP phones are only required if you are using separate phone services like Sipgate where your calls are routed through the internet. These phones use the Ethernet sockets on the hub, not the dedicated RJ11 TEL ports, which are exclusive to VMs phone service.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

New customers get their landline via the hub with an RJ11 to BT adapter. If you have an old phone it may not ring, so you need an RJ11 to BT adapter with a ring capactor. Nobody in VM understands this at all, so buy it yourself, costs about £5-£6 on eBay.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection