Menu
lharmer
Settling in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New Order Copper Line Takeover?

I'm moving into a house which is in a Virgin area, and intend on signing up to a Broadband + phone package.

I work from home and currently have FTTC which I am still in contract for, and intend to keep as a backup so I can still work if there's an issue. (The FTTC is much slower than currently in the new house, but certainly better than nothing).

The Broadband + Phone package states it includes a Virgin Media Phone Line, but also states "We'll provide your telephone services over your broadband connection."

So, given the phone is via VoIP, would there be a copper line takeover at the property? Logically my head says no, as Virgin would be taking over the line to not provide a phone service on it... but I can't find anything which says for certain!

It obviously causes a bit of a problem if Virgin want to takeover the phone line I would be paying the FTTC provider for.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Order Copper Line Takeover?

No
Vm do not use any of the BT lines.

And new installs use the phone line connected to the hub so no phone line needed

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@lharmer wrote:

I'm moving into a house which is in a Virgin area, and intend on signing up to a Broadband + phone package.

I work from home and currently have FTTC which I am still in contract for, and intend to keep as a backup so I can still work if there's an issue. (The FTTC is much slower than currently in the new house, but certainly better than nothing).

Not only did you basically answer your own question correctly, you are also keeping the copper line as a fail over? Now thats good planning.

We like you, you can stay!

+ several imaginary internet points for being A Sensible Person. All too rare in this day and age.

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Your broadband will be provided by the hub 3.0 which in addition to four LAN ports has two RJ11 ports, into either of which you plug a RJ11 to BT adapter (supplied by VM) for your handset. So, it's VoIP and no phone wires.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos