cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install landline port

cc1970
On our wavelength

Hi

Due to have VM installed on 5 April for phone, TV and broadband.  During the signup process it asked if I want to keep my old landline number which I do.  However I have heard nothing else on the matter  and how soon will I know if everything is OK with regards to my number being ported over.  Should I contact Sky / VM?

Regards

6 REPLIES 6

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi cc1970, 

Thanks for your post and it's great to hear you are having services installed in a few weeks. 

When it comes to porting a number over to us, as long as you have confirmed you wish to bring your number across, we will run checks in the background to ensure this is possible. 

If you have a quickstart installation, once you’ve set up and activated your services, we’ll begin the process of switching over your number, which could take up to 10 days.

If you have an engineer install, on the day of your install our technicians will get your phone services set up, making sure that your number has also switched over.

You will need to ensure that the phone number stays active with your previous provider as if it cancels before we port it, you would lose it. 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

cc1970
On our wavelength

Hi Kath_F

This is a completely new install as VM has only arrived in our area in last month or so.  Still to have engineers come round and do the "Digging" but have heard horror stories of the number not porting over. Im still to give my notice to sky is there anything I should get from them?  My install is not due to the 5th April so how will I know that VM has begun the process as I dont have any emails confirming this

Regards

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @cc1970.

If you are cancelling sky, its vital that you request them to leave the landline active until we request the port. If the landline isn't left open we can't request the number to be brought over to us. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

cc1970
On our wavelength
Hi
When I signed up for VM and requested my number to be ported so according to Sky VM has not begun the porting request as they state that no request is in place. Also VM/Sky have not issued a letter informing me of the switch yet. So can one of the VM team PM me to find out whats going on as still there has been no cable laid from the street to my house so I'm not confident my service will be installed on the 5th April
Regards

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @cc1970

Thanks for the details. Sorry to hear you have not received any further information regarding the number port yet and that Sky have reported the request has not been placed yet. I would like to look into this further for you. I shall send you a private message now to obtain the details required. Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner and get back to me when you can!

Best wishes,

Serena

cc1970
On our wavelength

Hi yuthelord

The phone jack is not the issue as I understand this install will utilise the router for phone calls but my estate has just had VM cables laid via the BT trunking but have yet to make a CATV access point on the pavement outside my house for the cable to be laid to my house.  Also I requested on signup for my number to be transferred over but I have heard nothing about this and this contradicts Ofcom regs.

Cheers