cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Phone Adaptor

roybab
On our wavelength

I have been told to connect the adaptor to my hub and the other end to my phone.  The problem is the Hub is in my Study and the phone line is in the Hall.

My main cable goes from the street into a box on the outer wall of my house.  From there I have 3 separate cables that go in to the house at different places.  One into the Lounge for the TV, one into the Study for Broadband and one into the Hall for the Landline.#

Could someone please advise how I set this up, as there is no help on the Virgin Media site and there does not appear to be any options when I ring up to let me speak to someone on this issue.

A very confused Roy

95 REPLIES 95

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @juststeve,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your Home Phone Switchover.

Thank you for the update and letting us know that your landline connection works now! 🙂 If you have any issues going forward, please let us know. We're here to help.

Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello forum team,

I've just received a fibre phone adaptor in the post but with no switchover date.

Our phone point is in our hallway and there is no way we're moving this into the room where the hub is as there's no free mains points there and it would be far too inconvenient. It's a base station and it would then also be too far from the second satellite phone in our bedroom. We can not move the router as it's connected to the TV etc.

We have a child who is prone to epileptic fits and we also need guaranteed 24 hour access to 999.

Could you please let me know the switchover date (there is nothing in "My Virgin Media") and how I go about getting the emergency calling device. Presumably an engineer will also have to visit to sort out the connection?

Looking at the "emergency backup line v3" - does this function as a normal phone as well as emergency dialling? Also, could this be used as a wireless bridge between our base station phone in the hallway and the router?

Thanks.

Edit: our house alarm is monitored through the phone line as well, so this would need to be resolved.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @randman14,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your Home Phone Switchover! 

We'll be more than happy to help arrange to put the landline in a much more comfortable place for you. We do provide an EBUL (Emergency Back Up Line) for vulnerable customers which acts as a back up line to call the emergency services in case of an outage.

In regards to your house alarm, you would need to contact your security alarm provider, as this landline connection change is going to be across different service providers. The new landline system is looking to be installed nationally by the end of 2025.

I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details in regards to your landline set up. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @randman14,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your Home Phone Switchover issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

An update....

Liam, the engineer, visited this morning. He had no idea what the job was and hadn't been briefed!

As we didn't want a cable trailing from the only phone point in our hallway to the other end of our living room where everything is connected by ethernet to my pass-through router, his only solution was to book in another engineer visit to drill a hole to the outside and run a cable around our house. This appointment will take up to two weeks and could be after the cut-off date.

I had already explained everything in PM to Paulina (who was very helpful). So why was an engineer despatched who had no clue what the job was and was not briefed or equipped (only indoor cable) to carry out the work at the scheduled appointment?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @randman14,

Thank you for coming back to us about your ongoing Home Phone Switchover. I'm sorry to hear that a further appointment will be needed to ensure that the landline connection is where you'd like it to be.

I have replied to your Private Message, so get back to me when you can so we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @randman14,

Thank you for your Private Message. You should be able to view your new appointment details on your online account.

Please let us know if you're having any issues so we can help further if needed.

Keep us updated on how you're getting on.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

I cannot see an appointment. Please don't send anyone. I have changed my alarm system connection method since it will not be possible to move the phone connection to the alarm without you having the nail a cable over 12m within my house! So thanks for that additional £150 I have had to pat the alarm company!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mknibbs,

Thank you for your post. Apologies for any confusion, I was replying to a message that another Community Member sent. 

I can see that my colleague assisted you a few weeks ago. Is there anything else we can do to help?

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

no