cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Old phone Number Back(retrieve my old number)

Isatou21
Joining in

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to get my old phone number back between my previous peovider to virgin.My previous provider cut me off before I started Virgin recently. I asked to port in but  I have been told it's impossible because the number is inactive. We have using that number years and we will lost lots of contact without it. Going back and forwards between providers and nothing seems to help.

Would anyone please help me what to do or a company that could help to retrieve our phone number .Please

Thanks inadvance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Isatou21 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to get my old phone number back between my previous peovider to virgin.My previous provider cut me off before I started Virgin recently. I asked to port in but  I have been told it's impossible because the number is inactive. We have using that number years and we will lost lots of contact without it. Going back and forwards between providers and nothing seems to help.

Would anyone please help me what to do or a company that could help to retrieve our phone number .Please

Thanks inadvance

It is VITAL that you do not give notice of cancellation to your old provider if you wish to port your number to a new provider. Under the telephone regulators rules the new provider is responsible for requesting the number port & this includes the cancellation of the old provider account as part of the process. If you give notice of cancellation yourself you risk losing your number, as has happened here.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Isatou21

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

If the line isn't active with your previous provider then unfortunately that is the case, we'll be unable to transfer this over. I'd suggest contacting the previous provider to see if anything atall can be done as they're the only people whom can look into this.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you so much for the info . I got back to them , said they can't do anything about it and referred to somewhere. I got intouch and they said my previous provider is only one again. feeling agony of losing that number.

Many thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

My apologies for the inconvenience @Isatou201 - I'd love to be able to sort this for you if I possibly could.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Isatou21 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks inadvance

It is VITAL that you do not give notice of cancellation to your old provider if you wish to port your number to a new provider. Under the telephone regulators rules the new provider is responsible for requesting the number port & this includes the cancellation of the old provider account as part of the process. If you give notice of cancellation yourself you risk losing your number, as has happened here.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you so much for sharing with me . Much appreciated

Hi Isatou21

Thanks for coming back to us, I have managed to locate your account with the details we have for you and can see you have spoken to us, we are sorry we weren't able to port the number over, if the previous provider is able to activate the number we would be able to retrieve it for you?

Regards

Paul.

I have stated on my order I want to keep our old number and that was before previous provider cut us off. I don't understand why it has not been requested at moment until when we set our kit realised is a different number. Now my previou provider is saying Virgin should be the one to help retrieve it from the number pool openreach. Because it has not requested by virgin from them when I ordered. Would you be able to please contact openreach on my behave ?

Many thanks

Hi Isatou21,

When a port is requested we arrange this for you however the port is done a few days after installation as your phone line was cancelled before this it would have stopped us doing this.

Regards

Paul.