cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Home Landline number has left home !

biffmorgan1
Joining in

I recently transferred my broadband and my Landline from SKY to Virgin Media. I told them both that I wanted to keep my existing landline tel. no. It took a few extra weeks to transfer me to VM due to technical issues unknown to all. VM asked SKY at least twice to transfer my home landline tel no. SKY cut me off. So when I complained VM  asked British Telecom if I could keep my tel no/have my tel no back. BT agreed at first and it was expected to go thru by 24 August. Now BT has declined to transfer. Any ideas about what I can do ? I don't want compensation. I want my previous tel no back ! Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi biffmorgan1, thanks for the message. 

I am sorry to hear that the line has gone to BT and we would need both lines to be successful for a number port to be successful. 

Have you been in touch with BT to reactivate the line?

^Chris. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there biffmorgan,

Thanks for your post and a warm welcome to the community.

Apologies for the delays regarding this, just to clarify have our team advised of the next steps after BT declined the transfer?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kane.

No no one from Virgin has offered to take the matter further. No reason seems to have been given for BT declining to return my landline telephone number or at least I have not been given a reason.

Regards

Stephen

Hi biffmorgan1, thanks for the message. 

I am sorry to hear that the line has gone to BT and we would need both lines to be successful for a number port to be successful. 

Have you been in touch with BT to reactivate the line?

^Chris. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A word of warning that is very often not heeded is NEVER contact your existing provider about ceasing your phone service yourself if you are porting out. You should only cancel TV if you not keeping it separately. Broadband cancels automatically when the line ceases.

Contacting your existing provider & giving any kind of notice results in your line being flagged as “pending disconnection” this inevitably causes porting issues & number losses during transfer. Virgin should be handling the ENTIRE process including cancellation of the existing provider account. This is further complicated if the numbers original allocation was with another company (eg BT) as the number is then passed back to them having no knowledge there is supposed to be a transfer.

The only time you contact your existing provider is when porting a MOBILE phone number to another provider.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for this Chris.
I spoke to BT online today. They told me it was Openreach I had to contact.
I'll speak to Openreach tomorrow morning.
Regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen, thanks for the reply. 

Please let us know how it goes with Openreach and hopefully they are able to get the number for you. 

Have a good day.

Chris. 

Thanks Very Insightful Person !
I wish I'd known before ! Yes it seems to me that my previous provider has an attitude about people leaving their service. I cant be certain but they seem to have a dont-give-a-dam attitude. The landline number is back with BT so I'll see what happens.

Regards
Stephen