cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving landline to New Hub connection - modem mode

TheRookieGB
Dialled in

Hi all

had a letter from VM saying that from December 5th I will have to plug my landline into my router with a adapter (port 1 in super Hub 3).

however: 

I use my hub as a modem with a TP-Link Deco 3 unit Mesh network and two Network TP-Link 1GB switches. 

Can I simply plug my landline phone with the adapter into a free Cat-5e Port on my Switch? 

Its not going to work on the Super Hub in modem mode as the only port out of the hub in modem mode goes to the Deco first then a 8-port switch. 

Need advice on this. 

Also it’s very annoying as I had extensions in the house for landings in the bedroom upstairs that won’t now work via the network as these are old BT style connections. 

This is simply a VOIP handset now. Not a landline and to me it’s a worse performance as it won’t work in a powercut. 

Anyway need advice please as don’t want to have to switch my modem mode back to Normal Hub mode it comes as default. (Virgin Wi-Fi rather than Mesh Deco)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Some clarifications ...

When your phone is switched to a connection from the VM hub, the phone line is presented on a dedicated RJ11 socket (TEL1) on the hub. The TEL1 socket behaves in the same way as a conventional landline so you just use ordinary phones. The TEL1 socket works in either modem mode or router mode so no effect on your mesh network. The VM-supplied adapter converts the RJ11 socket to a BT phone socket.

If you have a Super Hub (one of the older models) these do not have the telephone socket so you will need your hub updated to Hub 3 or above.

If you use phone extension sockets in your home, VM should offer to link these (free of charge) to the TEL1 socket on the VM hub so you can continue to use them as part of the switchover process.

Regarding your parents' connection, the REN limit on the no. of phones from the hub appears to be 3 so they would be able to connect 3 corded phones (but could maybe workaround using a combination of corded and cordless phones to allow more handsets).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

TheRookieGB
Dialled in

Hi, just waited 40mins on 150 for a answer to this and then VM line went dead.

if a VM team member could answer my query that would be great. Not sitting in my landline for 40mins again to then have it cut off. 

Thanks in advance.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @TheRookieGB,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

Your phone connection to the  21CV landline service comes from the TEL1 socket on the back of the hub so you will need to use this port. 

If you require extensions installing, we can get that arranged for you. 

For more info on the switchover see here

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi thanks for the reply 

I will look at the link later.

So I can use the Tel1 port for n the back in Modem Mode also? 

Also do extensions cost Money?

I also have parents (82) that have ahanset in every room. Two extensions (BT) with two handsets on each so 4 total. They need this as they have poor mobility and it’s vital they are near a phone in an emergency. With phone switch over to a socket next to their a Super Hub 3 they would then need a 4 handset device or extensions again. 

can Virgin help with this before Dec 5th also?

thanks 

Some clarifications ...

When your phone is switched to a connection from the VM hub, the phone line is presented on a dedicated RJ11 socket (TEL1) on the hub. The TEL1 socket behaves in the same way as a conventional landline so you just use ordinary phones. The TEL1 socket works in either modem mode or router mode so no effect on your mesh network. The VM-supplied adapter converts the RJ11 socket to a BT phone socket.

If you have a Super Hub (one of the older models) these do not have the telephone socket so you will need your hub updated to Hub 3 or above.

If you use phone extension sockets in your home, VM should offer to link these (free of charge) to the TEL1 socket on the VM hub so you can continue to use them as part of the switchover process.

Regarding your parents' connection, the REN limit on the no. of phones from the hub appears to be 3 so they would be able to connect 3 corded phones (but could maybe workaround using a combination of corded and cordless phones to allow more handsets).

Thanks for all the answers. 

can someone please tell me the best department to book an technician on etc and talk to a qualified tech regarding extensions if needed. Would this involve rewriting around a house or using existing BT cable? (Eg under carpets or floor boards etc) Also maybe better just getting a 4 handset one main unit if it will work on adapter.

I rang 150 then option 1 for home/broadband. Then option 2 for landline but I don’t have a fault so had to say I had issue with calls. However 40mins later the line went dead. 

Just want to know which department to talk to rather than sit on the phone all night long going round in circles.

Thanks 

Thanks for summing that up perfectly goslow. 

@TheRookie, I can see from our systems you have the hub 3 already so you don't need to worry about upgrading routers. 

I can arrange a technician visit for you to get the ball rolling. 

Will pop you a PM now to confirm some details and we can take it from there. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks Ayisha 

I have sent a message via your email message in my inbox.

Thanks