cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motoral backup phone

Keith02
Tuning in

We have just been supplied with a Motorola back up phone as part of a Virgin switchover of our phone line. Glad to say our Telecare unit seems to be functioning perfectly but the emergency phone is driving me mad Every time we have an incoming call on our landline the emergency phone also responds witha very loud and different ring tone. As the units are close to each other its very annoying. Is it possible to disable the ri g to e on the Motorola? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Keith02 wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks. A bit convoluted but once I went through the menu options as you suggested I finally cracked it. Peace reigns in the household!

Kind regards

Keith

Good work! 👍

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Keith02, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the handset and this is not the experience we want you to have with us.

Would you be able to confirm the model number of the handset please?

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hi,

Its a Motorola FW500. The engineer put a splitter into the router. One side feeds the telecare / phone and the other feeds the Motorola. He did not leave a manual / handbook. At nearly 80 its all a bit new to me! 

Thanks

HI Keith02, does anything show here - Chris. 

Hi Chris

I can't see anything. Our land line phone is a BT4600 and it has worked perfectly on VM and still is after the changeover. Its just the problem of the emergency phone ringing at the same time as the land line on an incoming call. To be honest I'm beginning to wonder how useful this extra phone is considering it will only ring 999 and not the numbers my wife and I need to access with our health issues in an emergency. If there is no easy fix I'll try and get the phone returned. We both have mobiles we could use.

Kind regards

Keith

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Keith02 wrote:

Hi Chris

I can't see anything. Our land line phone is a BT4600 and it has worked perfectly on VM and still is after the changeover. Its just the problem of the emergency phone ringing at the same time as the land line on an incoming call. To be honest I'm beginning to wonder how useful this extra phone is considering it will only ring 999 and not the numbers my wife and I need to access with our health issues in an emergency. If there is no easy fix I'll try and get the phone returned. We both have mobiles we could use.

Kind regards

Keith

Amazing that VM can issue a product for which there is no manual available, anywhere.

In the general VM phone guide on pages 38 / 39

https://assets.virginmedia.com/resources/pdf/Your-VM%20Phone-Guide.pdf

it shows the icons available (one of which is 'Phone ringer’s switched of' so it must be possible to do it).

On the same pages the image of the phone shows the word 'Menu' on the bottom LHS of the display screen.

If you press the button with the little white dot beneath 'Menu', does that brings up any options for you? You may need to use the right dot key to select options.

You will probably need to use the up/down arrows in the middle to move up/down the menu tree and look for 'phone settings' or something similar if available. Motorola phones might call it 'silent mode'

Pages 40/41 show you some other options you can set via this 'menu' route.

What is available in the menu might depend on how locked down VM has made the emergency phone setup.

Hi, 

Thanks. A bit convoluted but once I went through the menu options as you suggested I finally cracked it. Peace reigns in the household!

Kind regards

Keith

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Keith02 wrote:

Hi, 

Kind regards

Keith

Good work! 👍

Hi @Keith02 

I am happy to hear this is now resolved 🙂

Thank you @goslow for your really helpful advise on this.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@Keith02 wrote:

Hi,

Its a Motorola FW500. The engineer put a splitter into the router. One side feeds the telecare / phone and the other feeds the Motorola. He did not leave a manual / handbook. At nearly 80 its all a bit new to me! 

Thanks

How is it a backup phone if its connected to the same line via a splitter?