cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem and phone in different rooms.

jocatz
Dialled in

We have recieved an  email saying that on 12 May our current home phone service will stop working and be switched over to our fibre network. 

Our hub3 / tv / V6 are in our livingroom but  there is nowhere to put our phone which is currently in our hall. We do have a V6 in our diningroom and wondered if it would be possible to relocate the hub as there is  ample space next to that TV  for our phone and the hub.  

7 lives left.
14 REPLIES 14

Sorry Travis couls I just ask whether the technician would alsi be able to look into the possibility of "ask VM, via the forum team on here, to make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place" sorry this turning into such a long session for you.

7 lives left.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jocatz 

Thanks for your response

They'll certainly be able to look into doing this for you, I don't know too much on my side as it entirely depends on what the current setup looks like as to what the tech will need to do 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you yet again Travis. I have given my detail as you requested in your private message.

Have a kiss on the cheek from a couple of mithering OAPs. 🙂

7 lives left.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@jocatz wrote:
Sorry Travis couls I just ask whether the technician would alsi be able to look into the possibility of "ask VM, via the forum team on here, to make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place" sorry this turning into such a long session for you.

The VM tech should be able to modify your phone wiring to allow you to keep all of your equipment in the same place.

There are various ways they can do this but one way which gets mentioned on here quite regularly is by the use of an adapter lead. There is a picture of the lead at message #9 in the link below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/HUB3-to-Master-socket-adaptor/m-p/4507007#M143805

The VM tech can fit a new telephone socket next to your VM hub. From that new socket a phone cable can be installed and connected to one of your existing telephone sockets.

One end of the adapter lead is plugged into the TEL1 socket on the VM hub and the other end of the adapter lead is plugged into the new telephone socket fitted by the VM tech. The effect of doing this with the adapter lead is to 'back-feed' the telephone connection from the back of the VM hub into the old telephone wiring and thus allow your telephone sockets to become 'live' again and now work from the phone connection on the hub.

You would need to agree the route for any new cabling with the VM technician. To minimise wiring inside, it might be possible for the new phone wiring to follow the same cable route of the coax cable to the hub and out to the plastic omnibox outside and make any join to the telephone wiring out there. Or you may be able to agree an internal cable route if that suits you better.

The VM tech should also disconnect your old phone cable coming into your home from the street to prevent your new phone connection from the hub being fed back outside.

The technician should handle all of that for you. You would just need to agree things on site with the VM tech depending on where your existing cable runs are and what is practical. Make sure though that you end up with something that suits your requirements and not something that is just the quickest fix that is easiest and simplest for the VM tech's benefit (particularly if you want to keep all items of equipment where they are).

Hope you manage to get it sorted as you want.

WOW gpslow! Certainly something to bring up with the technician . I think I'll need get in some chocolate biscuits to sweeten him/her up. 😄
I'm not sure that would work for us though . The phone cable branches off from the omnibox at the front of our livingroom, around the oustside of our house on route to the side wall and our second V6. The Phone cable having been split off on the way to feed to our phone in the hall. The hub is fed from a separate cable coming from the omnibox around the wall to the other end of the room. Internally we have stone floors and several doorways which always seem to be a problem when it comes to any wiring. <<big sigh>> I hope there is a simple fix and once the technician has recovered, not run away sceaming I will bring this thread up to date,

7 lives left.