cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem and phone in different rooms.

jocatz
Dialled in

We have recieved an  email saying that on 12 May our current home phone service will stop working and be switched over to our fibre network. 

Our hub3 / tv / V6 are in our livingroom but  there is nowhere to put our phone which is currently in our hall. We do have a V6 in our diningroom and wondered if it would be possible to relocate the hub as there is  ample space next to that TV  for our phone and the hub.  

7 lives left.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@jocatz wrote:

As this is as a result of the  VM changeover and not something I want doing just for the sake of it why will there be a charge? What other option could you suggest?

Refer below and ask VM, via the forum team on here, to make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jocatz 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and a big welcome back.

If you was relocating the hub this would be £25.00 for a tech to come out and relocate the hub and place it in a different part of the house. If you're ok with this I can drop you a private message and have this booked for you

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

As this is as a result of the  VM changeover and not something I want doing just for the sake of it why will there be a charge? What other option could you suggest?

7 lives left.

Hi @jocatz 

Thanks for your response

We provide the adapter etc but we would not be relocating hubs for free and the customer would be expected to make their own changes to make the change best fit their needs, for example if they needed to change to wireless handsets etc. I can get the relocation booked if you would like

Travis_M
Forum Team

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@jocatz wrote:

Refer below and ask VM, via the forum team on here, to make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

To keep the hub in the same place the only available place for the main  phone is on the other side of the room which, taking  an extension cable around the wall would need a cable about 3mts long,  I would be happy twith this solution but haven't seen anywhere where this has been suggested as being possible.  Would a technician be abe to do this?  My wife and I are not as handy as we once were (nearing  our 80s ) but if we knew it would work we would try to do it ourselves.  🙂

7 lives left.

Hi @jocatz 

Thanks for your response

I'll get this sorted for you, please do keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself so I can collect some more information and get this sorted for you

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@jocatz wrote:

To keep the hub in the same place the only available place for the main  phone is on the other side of the room which, taking  an extension cable around the wall would need a cable about 3mts long,  I would be happy twith this solution but haven't seen anywhere where this has been suggested as being possible.  Would a technician be abe to do this?  My wife and I are not as handy as we once were (nearing  our 80s ) but if we knew it would work we would try to do it ourselves.  🙂

VM should be making these changes (as part of the phone switchover process) for you free of charge. A VM tech should be able to modify your telephone wiring so as to link the phone socket on the back of the hub to your existing telephone sockets and make your phone sockets work again post-switchover.

Working out any cable route would be up to yourself and the VM technician doing the work on site.

It has been arranged on here by the forum team dozens of (if not hundreds of) times before as a free service as part of the switchover. I don't know why you have been told you have to pay £25 for this.

Thanks goslow, leaving our phone where it is would be the best possible solution. 🙂

7 lives left.

Hi @jocatz 

Thanks for your response

If you check your inbox I have dropped you a private message so we can get this booked in and I am happy to book this in for you free of charge 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team