cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my phone number

AQasimA
Tuning in

I have just changed from Sky to Virgin. When I ordered the package on the 16/2 I asked them to transfer my landline number from Sky to Virgin which they allegedly did. 

Just to make sure I phoned them the day after I had installed the new equipment to confirm that the number would be transferred got told it would done. Then 11/3  I Called them to ask about my number but was told they were unable to transfer it because it was disconnected from Sky and that only active numbers could be moved. Didn’t my request when ordering the package get followed up?? We’ve had that number for over 25 years! I was told just to carry on using the temporary number supplied-how am I supposed to let credit card companies,bank,doctors,hospital and everyone else know the number has changed? Surely my old number is out there somewhere?

It doesn't ring so no one has the number yet. My dad really needs the number because he has cancer and receives calls from the hospital regarding  his treatment. Does anyone know how I can get my number back?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AQasimA 

Thank you for continuing with me on private message. 

My apologies that were not able to get the best resolution for you. Please do keep us updated if you do contact BT and they activate the number, we will be able to support further then, should you wish your number to be ported to us. 

If you believe the issue to be resolved you can mark the thread as resolved by clicking the helpful answer given and this will show anyone else having issue that an answer was given and direct them to the post, alternatively you can just like or 'kudos' the post if it helped you. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AQasimA 

Welcome to the community forums

Sorry to hear that your landline number has not been ported. If you let Sky know that you wanted to port the number, then they should have left the number active for us to be able to request this, if the number is not active we cannot request it and so cannot port it over to your new service. 

When your landline service becomes active, you will have a temporary number to begin with, as we'll need an active landline to port the number onto the service. 

You are right, that your number will be somewhere,  what happens is when a number is deactivated from a service it returns to whoever owed the number originally and goes back into the pool of numbers to be handed to new customers. 

Did you port the number to Sky when you joined them or did you get the number from them at the beginning? 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Spoiler

AQasimA
Tuning in

Before sky I was with virgin media. Ive ported the number multiple times. Sky told me virgin requested the on 11/3 only after I called to check on my number.

Thank you for the additional information @AQasimA . So the number was requested at our side? 

Can you confirm when your service became active? 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

AQasimA
Tuning in

Hi Carley_S

Yeah was requested by Virgin but 2-3 weeks after my service went live on the 18th March.

Ah right, 

So you're services are not active yet? You mention the 18th March for when your services go live. 

I'm trying to get all the information so I can advise further or see what else we can do to support in possibly retrieving the number if possible. 

If you're service is not live and we have requested the number port and Sky confirms this was requested, then please do let us know if the number has not appeared at your side on the 19th March and we can investigate this further. 

If we have already advised that the number port request was not successfully as the number is no longer active at Sky, then it sounds like Sky has not kept the number live for us to take as it would not disconnect if a number port was requested. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Sorry Carley

My mistake it was 18th February was when my services were activated.

Ah right okay. 

Let's take a look at our side to see what's noted on the account and see what we can do to possibly get the number ported to us. I'll be able to find out who owns the number as well and if we own it, we could possible get this ported to your account more easier than if it belongs to another company. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Than you for joining me on private message. 

I can see that you have been in contact with us yesterday and have confirmed with the agent that the number is active with SKY. The number port process can take 10 working days to complete and so long as the number is active, this should complete with no further issue. 

Please do let us know if you have any further issues after 27th March 2023 and we'll be able to assist further. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley