cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost landline number

RichardP8
Tuning in

I have just changed from Sky to Virgin. When I ordered the package on the 20/5 I asked them to transfer my landline number from Sky to Virgin which they allegedly did. 
Just to make sure I phoned them the day after I had installed the new equipment to confirm that the number would be transferred and received a text message later on the same day (18/6) to say it would done on the 29/6. Then yesterday (19/6) I got a text message telling me that Virgin were unable to transfer it because it was disconnected from Sky and that only active numbers could be moved. Didn’t my request when ordering the package get followed up?? We’ve had that number for over 45 years! I was told in that last message just to carry on using the temporary number supplied-how am I supposed to let credit card companies,bank,doctors,hospital and everyone else know the number has changed? Surely my old number is out there somewhere?

67 REPLIES 67

Hi Gary, thanks for the quick response.

According to Sky it’s no longer active with them. Does that mean there’s no way we can get it back?

Gaurav

Hi gsharm1

If the previous providers accounts is now closed, then its bad news sorry 

Gareth_L

Fair enough. Just wish either VM or Sky had let me know about needing to keep the line active.

Thanks for taking the time to check Gareth, much appreciated.

Gaurav

Fahim567
Joining in

Having the same issue. Brother moved out who was on virgin, his contract ended and I signed up to transfer everything over to my name.  Was told for the last month my telephone number was going to be transferred, most recently 2 days ago where I was told the number will be exactly the same as before. when I got my new hub to install and activate the number went

now I’m being told by virgin they lost my number which is over 40yrs old. Older than me. Saying my brothers account is now deactivated and so is my number. I’m furious and thinking of leaving now.

If only I could speak to someone that understood what happened.

Hi @Fahim567.

Welcome to our community forums and sorry to hear you have had an issue with your old landline number. We can understand this is not ideal and we want to best help. I am unable to locate your service on our system. Just to confirm, is the old telephone line still open with your old provider? Have you also spoken to our team on 0345 454 1111 regarding this? If so when and what was discussed? ^AA

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

My old provider was virgin media. Spoke to someone yesterday who after 45 mins said their supervisor said they can get my number back. However, i feel I was lied to just to get me off the call. They said my old line with virgin was disconnected so they can’t get my number. Then last minute they switched and said they could. Don’t know what’s going on

In this case, to further look into this issue, I have sent a private message. Please lookout for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

No problem at all @Fahim567.

Glad to have been able to help with this. Please do let me know if the issue persists and if you need any further help.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

All, Akua_A got my number back.

He is the guy. 

thanks again