cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost landline number

PatelVarsha
Settling in

I have just changed from Sky to Virgin. When I ordered the package on the 07/08 I asked them to transfer my landline number from Sky to Virgin which they allegedly did. 
Just to make sure I phoned them the day after I had installed the new equipment to confirm that the number would be transferred and received a text message later on the same day (7/9) to say it would done by the 17/9. Then today I got an email telling me that Virgin were unable to transfer it because it was disconnected from Sky and that only active numbers could be moved. Didn’t my request when ordering the package get followed up?? We’ve had that number for over 45 years! I was told in that last message just to carry on using the temporary number supplied-how am I supposed to let credit card companies,bank,doctors,hospital and everyone else know the number has changed? Surely my old number is out there somewhere?

I was Intially told by virginmedia custumer service that it would take 6 -7 day for the number to port over from and it should be transfered over from sky to virginmedia subsiquently a follow up call and complaint to virginmedia custumer service said otherwise!

10 REPLIES 10

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @PatelVarsha,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that you've had this issue in transferring the landline number across to us from your previous provider, however, I'm afraid that it is correct that the number would need to be available from you previous provider and they would have to release it to us in order to make the transfer.

When did you last speak with the team about this and what was advised? I can also see that you've mentioned raising a complaint about this. Can you expand on that, please? When and how did you raise it?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hello VARSHA PATEL,

We have a little update on your complaint with us. We didn’t want to delay things, so we’ve gone ahead and looked into a resolution for you.

Here’s a quick recap

Your complaint was:
Home Phone > Faults > Trouble Porting my number 

We’ve looked into it and here’s what we found:
For the number port process to complete,The phone line with previous service provider has to be active until we provide a confirmation of a successful number port.This process involves a mediation through an authorised agency for number port process to complete.Please contact your previous service provider and ask them to try and reactivate the phone line so that we can follow up to resolve the issue.
We understand your situation but as per the guidelines we dont have any clause or a reason to compensate or provide a credit on the account.
Please use the link for billing review.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/accounts-and-billing/broadband-tv-phone 

Here’s what we offer as resolution:
Billing > Billing guidance provided

We hope this works for you.

We’ll keep your complaint open for 28 days from now just in case you still want to talk through your options. Please ring us on 0345 454 1111* if you’re not completely happy with the resolution.

If we don’t hear back after 28 days, we’ll assume you’re satisfied with everything and close your complaint.

Stay on top of your services

To make the most of your time with us, make sure you’ve downloaded the My Virgin Media app. With it, you can manage your bills with a tap and a swipe, check the service status in your area, find out when we expect any known problems will be fixed, diagnose issues with your in-home equipment, and loads more.

Take care,

The Virgin Media team

*For details on how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary. 

The complaint was raised straight away as soon as we figured out that the landline number wasn't the same as my orginal provided yet virginmedia failed to sort it whilst the number was active and mislead us into thinking it was being transfered by saying it will take 5-7days to pac over!

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes so all the evidence is there!

Hi @PatelVarsha,

It's correct that calls are recorded for quality and training purposes, but as advised earlier and as it also states in the response to the complaint which you've provided earlier, a number needs to be active and available in order for us to port it across from another provider.

Have you followed the advice provided in the complaint yet?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I understand but upon the time of  raising the complaint the account was still active yet nothing was done by virgin media to deal with the number is still in the pool of numbers something should be done to get my number back both parties were made aware by us that we wanted to keep the number but virginmedia failed to communicate with sky to acquire my existing number!

Hi @PatelVarsha,

I understand, and I do apologise, but active or not the other provider needs to release the number to us so we can transfer it across. If it's no longer active then please follow the advice detailed in the complaint response.

Let us know how you get on and we can proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

We had contacted sky and they had said virgin media had failed to contact them to port the number 

we would like our old number back 

Sky were given their fair 1-month notice and told we were moving to virgin media and Virginmedia were told we going to keep our existing telephone line from sky