cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost landline number

RichardP8
Tuning in

I have just changed from Sky to Virgin. When I ordered the package on the 20/5 I asked them to transfer my landline number from Sky to Virgin which they allegedly did. 
Just to make sure I phoned them the day after I had installed the new equipment to confirm that the number would be transferred and received a text message later on the same day (18/6) to say it would done on the 29/6. Then yesterday (19/6) I got a text message telling me that Virgin were unable to transfer it because it was disconnected from Sky and that only active numbers could be moved. Didn’t my request when ordering the package get followed up?? We’ve had that number for over 45 years! I was told in that last message just to carry on using the temporary number supplied-how am I supposed to let credit card companies,bank,doctors,hospital and everyone else know the number has changed? Surely my old number is out there somewhere?

67 REPLIES 67

I am not sure but I noticed my number was not working 3 days ago. I think the switch was on the 25th of June. 

Thanks for your reply, Sadiyaramli, I'll send you a private message to confirm your account details.

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi, i see you managed to fix this problem. My problem is the exact same as Richards. Can you help me?

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @mohammadalim

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

Are you able to let me know when you joined with us? When you did leave sky was your number active or had you already ended the contract? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

I joined on the 26th of August. When I told sky about changing providers, the contract had renewed.  I was given a "temporary number" by virgin media. I have been told that I should not have been given a temporary number and that it is the reason for losing my old number.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me. 

Where you set up as a quick start order?  If you where a quick start order you would be issued with a temporary number for up to 14 days in order for the number to be ported over. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi,

Sky were made aware at the time that we were leaving to virginmedia and Virginmedia upon placing the order for the package that we wanted to pac the number over!

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @PatelVarsha

Please can you confirm for me if you are a QuickStart (self install) customer or if an engineer came round to install your services?

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi Paul and colleagues at Virgin Media,

I've had the same experience recently: Sky released the number on the morning of the VM installation, and VM then said they were unable to port the number over. I have called both Sky and VM, and been told nothing can be done, and BT OpenReach is very difficult to...reach.

We've had our number 20+ years so the prospect of facing that we've lost it due to this mis-hap is a bit tragic.

Is there anything you can do to help rescue it?

Thank you,

Gaurav

Hi gsharm1

I can take a look for you

Providing your old number is still active with the previous provider

If its not, then sadly we cant bring it over 

Gareth_L