cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost landline number

RichardP8
Tuning in

I have just changed from Sky to Virgin. When I ordered the package on the 20/5 I asked them to transfer my landline number from Sky to Virgin which they allegedly did. 
Just to make sure I phoned them the day after I had installed the new equipment to confirm that the number would be transferred and received a text message later on the same day (18/6) to say it would done on the 29/6. Then yesterday (19/6) I got a text message telling me that Virgin were unable to transfer it because it was disconnected from Sky and that only active numbers could be moved. Didn’t my request when ordering the package get followed up?? We’ve had that number for over 45 years! I was told in that last message just to carry on using the temporary number supplied-how am I supposed to let credit card companies,bank,doctors,hospital and everyone else know the number has changed? Surely my old number is out there somewhere?

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

If you requested SKY to  cancel the account then when VM requested the port SKY would have refused to port the number, the transfer itself is what cancels you SKY account, the number would have been returned to the Openreach pool of numbers so cannot be ported I am afraid that the number is now lost.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi RichardP8,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear that your number isn't able to be transferred to us as it is no longer active.

In order for us to bring a number over this has to remain open with thee previous provider until the port is complete, us taking the number then cancels it with the previous provider.

We are unable to process the port until our line is active so this is usually done once the account is active.

Regards

Paul.

We are unable to do the port until the line is active, if you haven't cancelled with sky then the line should still be active and we would be able to bring the number over.

Regards

Paul.

RichardP8
Tuning in

Not sure if I’m doing this right, but I would like to thank Paul_DN and his colleague Lisa so very much for eventually after much time spent,recovering my landline number. I can’t thank both of them enough. Brilliant!!

HI RichardP8, yes you have done it right, I have emailed the feedback to both Paul and Lisas managers. Chris 

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Richard,

Really glad to hear you now have your number back, we were glad we could help.

Kind regards

Paul.

67 REPLIES 67

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

If you requested SKY to  cancel the account then when VM requested the port SKY would have refused to port the number, the transfer itself is what cancels you SKY account, the number would have been returned to the Openreach pool of numbers so cannot be ported I am afraid that the number is now lost.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi RichardP8,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear that your number isn't able to be transferred to us as it is no longer active.

In order for us to bring a number over this has to remain open with thee previous provider until the port is complete, us taking the number then cancels it with the previous provider.

We are unable to process the port until our line is active so this is usually done once the account is active.

Regards

Paul.

I told Sky that I would not be renewing with them but I never cancelled the contract with them. The contract ran until it expired. The phone was working fine until the change over. Surely it was up to Virgin to make sure the number was changed over? They knew nearly 4 weeks before the change.

We are unable to do the port until the line is active, if you haven't cancelled with sky then the line should still be active and we would be able to bring the number over.

Regards

Paul.

Hi there. My account was activated from the day it arrived which was on Wednesday 17th. The Sky contract finished the following day. 

Hi,

I will be more than happy to see if there is any way to get the number back however to be very honest 9 out of 10 times we are unable, I will send you an invite into a private chat so I can get more details.

I will send the invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

RichardP8
Tuning in

Not sure if I’m doing this right, but I would like to thank Paul_DN and his colleague Lisa so very much for eventually after much time spent,recovering my landline number. I can’t thank both of them enough. Brilliant!!

HI RichardP8, yes you have done it right, I have emailed the feedback to both Paul and Lisas managers. Chris 

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Richard,

Really glad to hear you now have your number back, we were glad we could help.

Kind regards

Paul.