Menu
mikebourke8
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Lost landline number after failed to port over to Virgin

On 12th April 2019 I switched from Vodafone to Virgin via MoneySavingExpert.

Unfortunately Vodafone disconnected the landline at 1.30 a.m. on 12th April before the engineer from Virgin arrived to take over the phone line and so Virgin were unable keep my number.

Subsequent calls to Vodafone and Virgin have confirmed that:

On 13th March 2019 I confirmed with Vodafone that I would not be renewing my contract for broadband and phone on 12th April 2019, the date the contract was due to end and that I had agreed a new contract with Virgin to begin on 12th April 2019 for broadband and phone and that I wanted to keep my phone number.

Virgin and Vodafone have confirmed that Virgin contacted Vodafone on 14th March to confirm they would be porting the number on 12th April.

13th April Vodafone confirmed they disconnected the number before it could be ported and said they would reactivate the line for three months so that Virgin could port the number on 28th April.

Since then I have had calls from Virgin and Vodafone both saying that the number is now in the possession of BT and they cannot request it back.

I have switched this number successfully three times in five years from Talktalk to Plusnet to Vodafone and now lost it with the last switch.

I am a photographer and this number is on my business cards, website, stationary, about 120 websites as a reset number and embedded as a contact number in all my photographs (74000+).

I have opened a complaint with both Vodafone and Virgin. Vodafone has said not our fault and is doing nothing to retrieve the number and I have had one follow up call from Virgin on 17th June who have said they will try and retrieve the number from TalkTalk (BT) but no further contact.

I have heard this is not uncommon but as a self employed photographer my number is all over the world in print and online, so not just a necessity to get broadband.

Does anyone know if it's worth contacting TalkTalk or BT or if raising a complaint with Ofcom would get a result?

Any advice gratefully received!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost landline number after failed to port over to Virgin

Sorry to hear that Mike, I am going to send you a private message if you can reply to that I can look into this for you.

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
Waqj1981
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost landline number after failed to port over to Virgin

Same thing happened to me in March of this year. Got lied to by 5 or 6 members of staff.  Some very rude but I guess all incompetent.

Deeply disappointed by virgin media staff. 

0 Kudos