cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of landline service

Paul910
Joining in

For the second time within a month, and without any warning, I have no landline service.  On both occasions the Virgin website service status for my location has a green tick and no reported problems.  Having completed all the recommended DIY checks and tests I purchased a new phone to no avail.  Only after contacting Virgin customer support by mobile phone was I able to confirm that there was indeed landline service problems in my area.

Why is my Virgin landline service status being falsely reported?  Surely there is scope to inform the account holder that they have a problem with any of their services without them having to endure the arduous fault reporting procedure.  I have the Virgin app, email, WhatsApp, so what’s the problem?  Is this a ploy to avoid refunds for loss of service?  After all, how long has my service been faulty without me knowing?

When experiencing a landline fault why is the customer instructed to contact the help desk using their landline?  I didn’t even know I had a landline fault until a family member tried to contact me.

Come Virgin, as a communications business surely you can communicate ☹️

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Paul910 wrote:

For the second time within a month, and without any warning, I have no landline service.  On both occasions the Virgin website service status for my location has a green tick and no reported problems.  Having completed all the recommended DIY checks and tests I purchased a new phone to no avail.  Only after contacting Virgin customer support by mobile phone was I able to confirm that there was indeed landline service problems in my area.

<snip>

Come Virgin, as a communications business surely you can communicate ☹️

There is an automated service status number - 0800 561 0061 to check for any faults in your area which is reportedly more accurate and localised.

Compensation is described here

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

and updated rates here

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

but it applies to a 'total loss of service' (as per para 23 in the PDF) and VM gets two clear working days to fix a fault before any compo is applied. This makes it hard to get this for short term intermittent faults. You need to phone in to report the TLS or use VM's online automated tests to log the fault.

Thanks for very useful information goslow👍