Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 111 of 120
Flag for a moderator

Re: No more Line Rental Saver

Hi there Shazzamma, 

Can't remember the last time I used a fax machine myself! haha!

We do offer packages without a landline and we're always happy to check these deals for you - however, some packages will be cheaper if you keep the landline as you get a discount for taking out 3 or 4 of our services so that is something to think about too. 

If you want to chat about potentially removing the landline, give us a bell on 150/03454541111 and we'll be happy to have a closer look at your account 🙂 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 112 of 120
Flag for a moderator

@Shazzamma wrote:

Am seriously thinking of dumping landline...just elderly parents (although of course they have my mobile number) and a fax attached to it stop me. Although ain't used the fax in years lol...

Cost-wise I can sympathise completely... but we've long subscribed to the idea of keeping a landline because we should. You never know when there might be a problem with mobiles in the house and you need another phone. Or you have a friend or relative who uses their landline for most outgoing calls and prefers to call 01/02/03 numbers than mobiles.

But a bit like payphones, outgoing calls on said landline are rare.. I guess everyone's preferences are different!!

0 Kudos
SteveW117
On our wavelength
Message 113 of 120
Flag for a moderator

Since they scrapped LRS I have wondered about getting rid of the landline too, I can't work out whether this is somehow what VM want customers to do? Are they making a killing on landline rental or have they decided it's too much of a nuisance maintaining them? I say that because ours has gone down twice this year and the engineer has had to come to repair the local box or whatever...so from my perspective I would say that the mobile signal is probably more reliable for us!

0 Kudos
v1nod
Tuning in
Message 114 of 120
Flag for a moderator

Now UK broadband providers do 'embedded pricing' - means the customer does not see the phone line rental cost as a separate line item in the bill.

This not only affects a change in behaviour of retail pricing, but also the wholesale (BT/Openreach) deals where giants like Vodafone gets much better negotiation power for offering broadband.

For VM, this LRS change gives 2 flexible options to develop a pricing strategy:

- no line rental pricing allows to compete directly and price compare in the both retail and wholesale segment

- moving to IP phones (cost savings that they can pass it back to customers, compared to BT infrastructure - which is always fixed )

brantome
Up to speed
Message 115 of 120
Flag for a moderator

Got a notification that my monthly payment was going up by £3 from £45 in September, coincidentally I think when my current contract ran out and my line rental saver was due. I’m on the fun tv/ talk weekends/ 100Mb package.

So I called retentions looking to cut right back to basics (broadband apart) as I barely watch live TV these days, mainly using catchup on my Fire TV 4K or Now Tv Sticks, and seldom if ever use my landline. I was then told about LRS no longer being available.

Seemingly I couldn’t go any lower than Talk Weekend phone wise (if I cancelled that, the broadband/ tv package price would be more expensive), and was happy to drop to the Mix tv package or Mixit plus three or four stations not in that. Initially was told they could drop to Mix for around £21 and £19 for the phone including broadband, but on further discussion, said I could keep the package I’m on for that £40 which now included the phone package I’d normally pay £196 p.a. for. Plus they’d throw in a £25 credit for the next two months.

So in effect, I’m dropping a fiver a month rather than going up three, keeping the same package and no longer have to front up £196 for the next year’s phone. Plus there’s the £50 credit. Well worth the ten minute call that was pretty effortless. Guess I could have pled poverty a bit more, but overall I’m £196+50+12*5 better off next year than I was before the call 😄 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 116 of 120
Flag for a moderator

Hi brantome, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

It's great to hear the team were able to find you a deal that you're happy with 🙂 

All the best, 

Hetty_R
otronics
Tuning in
Message 117 of 120
Flag for a moderator

In the past few weeks, not only have I lost all loyalty discounts, but I am affected by the upcoming price rise like everyone else.

And of course now, no Line Rental Saver.

I just about managed it this year (it was put on, refunded and I had to battle to get it put on again!)

This seems to be the last year I can do it.

Looks like next year will be time to ditch Virgin for something better.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 118 of 120
Flag for a moderator

@v1nod wrote:

- moving to IP phones (cost savings that they can pass it back to customers, compared to BT infrastructure - which is always fixed )

Ahem!

Cost savings in removing the copper pair between the customer & the local optical street node? Not much. The rest of the system operates the same as it does now. VM also has to provide an emergency fallback allowing these installations to use the mobile networks during a power cut ( special needs only ) so the system would be just as expensive to run.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
teamfloyduk
Up to speed
Message 119 of 120
Flag for a moderator

My current line rental saver ends in December, will I still be able to continue with it. If I phone before this one ends

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 120 of 120
Flag for a moderator

@teamfloyduk wrote:

My current line rental saver ends in December, will I still be able to continue with it. If I phone before this one ends

As per the rest of the above thread, No.

LRS is no longer available. Virgin is the last company to withdraw it so we have been lucky to keep it so long as we have.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos