cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landlines

WW1948
Up to speed

Does any one know what is happening in  when phones are switched off?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@WW1948 wrote:

Are you referring to the shutdown of the current phone network and migration to VOIP-based services ...

The links below offer some further information

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone

target date for completion is 2025. VM install the new system, with phone via the VM hub, for new customers and are gradually rolling out the technology across the VM network.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@WW1948 wrote:

Not so much switched off as migrated.

Just like TV & Radio, telephone systems are now moving into the digital age. This means all your call will eventually be routed over the internet via a server rather than down a separate piece of copper wire to a huge exchange with thousands of switches.

The only difference you will see is that your landline phone will plug into your internet hub instead of a socket on the wall.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @WW1948,

Thank you for coming back to us on this Forum! Thank you for your post.

Apologies, would you be able to expand on your query a little further? I'm not too sure what you are asking?

Is there a landline issue that you're experiencing? Have you checked if there is an active dial tone on your landline? 

You can always take a look at our Landline Faults page to see if this page can help identify your landline issue.

As well as this, you can always check our Service Status page or call out Automated Service Status line on 0800 561 0061 to see if there are any area issues impacting your services.

Please come back to me with more information, so I can look into this further for you. 🙂

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@WW1948 wrote:

Are you referring to the shutdown of the current phone network and migration to VOIP-based services ...

The links below offer some further information

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone

target date for completion is 2025. VM install the new system, with phone via the VM hub, for new customers and are gradually rolling out the technology across the VM network.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@WW1948 wrote:

Not so much switched off as migrated.

Just like TV & Radio, telephone systems are now moving into the digital age. This means all your call will eventually be routed over the internet via a server rather than down a separate piece of copper wire to a huge exchange with thousands of switches.

The only difference you will see is that your landline phone will plug into your internet hub instead of a socket on the wall.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SP60
On our wavelength

I appreciate that the phone will be plugged into the hub BUT my house alarm is wired into the existing analog bix. Not sure what happens to this.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @WW1948,

Just to clarify, the phones are not being switched off. We are migrating customers over to VOIP-based services.

The only noticable change for customers will be that the landline will be plugged into the Hub rather than the wall socket.

Best wishes,

Serena

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@SP60 wrote:

I appreciate that the phone will be plugged into the hub BUT my house alarm is wired into the existing analog bix. Not sure what happens to this.

You'll need to make arrangements to get the extension for the alarm linked into the VM hub's phone socket, either by VM or a third party. VM might do it for you as part of the 21CV migration or they might want to charge you £99 to do it. The VM processes and information on this are inconsistent.

Alternatively, discuss the issue with your alarm provider. Most should now be able to offer a feature to dial out via a mobile signal (via a modification or upgrade to the alarm panel) or by adding an external device to do this. It is also feasible, via additional hardware or modification, to have the alarm dial out on the landline by default but fail-over to a mobile connection if the landline goes down.

Hub Phones

Hope my landline is not going to change anytime soon with the migration to fibre . (2025)

I switch my hub off at night as it is in a bedroom - (the same as a power cut ) this would disconnect  the hub  connected phones and the possibility of requiring an emergency backup line (mobile) all seem  complicated so hope I can keep my landline for the time being, and any changes may involve moving the hub which has sone Ethernet connections. The advantage of the landline phones  is they are already a good backup to the mobile phones if the go down, have had that happen twice or if there are power cuts etc. the landline still functions as it is self powered.

I have 2 landline phones, so some wiring changes would be needed or cordless phones bought which I dislike.

I  wonder what will happen to people with no broadband only a BT phoneline, I do have an old BT point if I wish to keep a landline phone.

Perhaps many are switching to mobile phones now, I do have mobile phones also.

The hub connected phones be the same price as the landline but  will the calls be free (like VoIP) or charged per minute like a landline.

The hub has 2 phone connections, would they both be the same phone number or is just one used with a splitter.

Will the emergency service be able to locate the hub phone as they do with landlines, they can pinpoint the area, I have had to call ambulances a few times, and if the hub was down or switched off it may not be as reliable as  landlines which are reliable.

alf28