cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline via hub

clairephil
Tuning in

Hi

I want to plug my landline phone into my hub as it is a more convenient location than my actual phone socket in the house. I have done this using an adaptor (not supplied by virgin as I don't have that) plugged into Tel port 1 but I have no dialing tone. Can anyone advise on why this isn't working?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The VM phone service is supplied either to a conventional telephone master wall socket or from the back of the hub. It is an either/or arrangement not both together.

VM are gradually moving all customers to the connection via the hub as part of a planned programme. Based on past topics on here, some customers do seem to be able to opt-in to the new arrangement but it seems to depend on the your particular VM area at the moment.

If you log into the hub you should be able to see the status of the hub telephone socket on the welcome screen. It will show telephony as disabled or ready (if you are supplied via a conventional landline master socket, it will be disabled). Example screenshot below for when the hub's phone connection is available

https://setuprouter.com/router/virgin-media/virgin-media-hub-3/setup-75194-large.htm

One of the forum team may be able to advise on your options or you may have to phone in to see if it is possible. The forum team usually respond on here in a day or two.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The VM phone service is supplied either to a conventional telephone master wall socket or from the back of the hub. It is an either/or arrangement not both together.

VM are gradually moving all customers to the connection via the hub as part of a planned programme. Based on past topics on here, some customers do seem to be able to opt-in to the new arrangement but it seems to depend on the your particular VM area at the moment.

If you log into the hub you should be able to see the status of the hub telephone socket on the welcome screen. It will show telephony as disabled or ready (if you are supplied via a conventional landline master socket, it will be disabled). Example screenshot below for when the hub's phone connection is available

https://setuprouter.com/router/virgin-media/virgin-media-hub-3/setup-75194-large.htm

One of the forum team may be able to advise on your options or you may have to phone in to see if it is possible. The forum team usually respond on here in a day or two.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @clairephil,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issues here on our forums.

As @goslow has said we are migrating all over of our customers to have landlines via their hub instead of the traditional phone socket.

The telephone service wont be active on the hub unless you have been specifically advised that this has been done for your connection.

I have looked into your account and your area isn't yet due for the changeover to be done but once the plans have been made for this to be done, we will be in touch to let you when it will be happening.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thankyou both for your replies. I take it from you response that I can't opt in any earlier due to it being area dependant? Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for coming back to me @clairephil.

I will look into this and see if we can move your landline service over to your hub before this happens but I cannot guarantee that we will be able to do this.

I will be back in touch soon to let you know the outcome.

Regards,

Steven_L

@clairephil wrote:

Thankyou both for your replies. I take it from you response that I can't opt in any earlier due to it being area dependant? Thanks again for your help.

Worth checking out the information on the pages below regarding some of the limitations of a phone connection from the hub as opposed to a conventional landline

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone/switchover

Issues which are regularly mentioned on here are the fact that the operation of the phone is linked to the operation of the hub so, if the hub is offline for any reason, then the phone line may well not work until the hub is back online.

This also has implications for any equipment connected to the line such as burglar alarms or health monitoring devices etc.

If your issue is just having the phone in a more convenient location, then you could look into a cordless phone arrangement. Plug the base station into the existing phone socket and use cordless extensions where you actually want the phone to be.

A phone connection from the hub works best with a cordless phone so as/when/if you are moved to a VM hub connection for the phone, you would also be able to use the cordless phone in that setup too.

Everyone will end up with a phone connection from the hub in the near future but worth being aware of some of the limitations before actually committing to that setup.