cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline switchover monthly price

kro
Joining in

When the switchover to VOiP is complete, will there be a lowering of the monthly phone package given Virgin Media will no longer have to contribute to the cost of maintenance of landline cabling, poles, and no callouts for home phone wiring? If not, will it be possible to cancel my current phone package and replace it with a cheaper package from another supplier, using the VM internet connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@kro wrote:

Many thanks for your help.

When you say I won't be able to use any Virgin Media cables, do you mean the adapter connected to the hub? I was planning on using a VOiP base answering-machine phone hub plugged directly into my router (I only use the hub as a modem, and I have a different router attached to the modem), which also has two extra phones around the home that would be connected wirelessly to the base phone hub. 

So, in essence, I would only be using the internet package. Similar to a WhatsApp call using my VM broadband.

Apologies, misunderstood your post at #1. Thought you meant get rid of VM altogether and replace with another ISP. After re-reading I can see you meant swap your phone package only to another provider.

VM's 21CV phone service (via the router) isn't a full VOIP service. It uses the TEL1 connection on the back of the hub to connect an ordinary telephone to the VM hub using the adapter supplied by VM. The connection behaves like an ordinary telephone line but connected to the VM hub.

If you wanted to use a full VOIP service for your home phone, you would need to set that up with a VOIP service provider but you could run that over your VM broadband connection.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @kro 👋,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. Great to have you here 😊

Migrating to our Fibre network won't lower your package costs, no. 

We have some info here on the switchover you may find useful.

If you would like for your package to be reviewed, please call our team on 0345 454 1111 who will be happy to assist further. 

Thank you

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@kro wrote:

When the switchover to VOiP is complete, will there be a lowering of the monthly phone package given Virgin Media will no longer have to contribute to the cost of maintenance of landline cabling, poles, and no callouts for home phone wiring? If not, will it be possible to cancel my current phone package and replace it with a cheaper package from another supplier, using the VM internet connection?

Often asked on here ...

Post switchover the cost of the VM landline remains the same as customers are still receiving the same landline service.

VM's pricing structure applies more discounts for more services taken so a package with (say) broadband plus phone typically works out cheaper than broadband alone. You may (possibly) be able to negotiate your own individual price with VM at an advantageous rate to yourself.

If you move to another provider, you may be able to get a cheaper service but you won't be able to use VM's cables as they are for VM's network only.

When you say I won't be able to use any Virgin Media cables, do you mean the adapter connected to the hub? I was planning on using a VOiP base answering-machine phone hub plugged directly into my router (I only use the hub as a modem, and I have a different router attached to the modem), which also has two extra phones around the home that would be connected wirelessly to the base phone hub. 

So, in essence, I would only be using the internet package. Similar to a WhatsApp call using my VM broadband.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@kro wrote:

Apologies, misunderstood your post at #1. Thought you meant get rid of VM altogether and replace with another ISP. After re-reading I can see you meant swap your phone package only to another provider.

VM's 21CV phone service (via the router) isn't a full VOIP service. It uses the TEL1 connection on the back of the hub to connect an ordinary telephone to the VM hub using the adapter supplied by VM. The connection behaves like an ordinary telephone line but connected to the VM hub.

If you wanted to use a full VOIP service for your home phone, you would need to set that up with a VOIP service provider but you could run that over your VM broadband connection.

Hi @kro thanks a lot for your reply.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're referring to in terms of the adapter connected to the Hub.

So the adapter you'll have received (or will receive in the future) in the post, will go directly into your Hub and enable you to use your landline directly connected into the Hub.

If however, you plan to not use our landline service directly then it may be wise to give us a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111, and we can put you on a broadband only package which may be at a lower rate to which you're paying at the moment.

If you do need any further help, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Many thanks

Tom_W

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All that VM is changing with 21CV is replacing an analogue connection to their street node with a digital one straight from your hub. Even the analogue lines were converted to digital at the street node with the old system, so you are still paying line rental for the existing equipment your line is using.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks