cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline porting not done

Sheilafisher
Joining in

When I changed to Virgin Media on 2March I was twice told that porting of my previous BT landline number was in place but it hasn’t happened. Why not?

10 REPLIES 10

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sheilafisher,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome both here and to Virgin Media, we are sorry to hear your port request hasn't been actions, once an installation has been done the ported number would go on 10 Days later, is your BT number still active and can you still use it, or have you cancelled it?

Regards

Paul.

No Paul my BT landline is not active when I ring it so must still be available to port. So annoying this hasn’t happened after 3+ weeks! What can I do?

Hi Sheilafisher,

What happens when you call the number, what message do you get?

Regards

Paul.

When I phone the number the message is that I have dialled an incorrect number.

Hi @Sheilafisher sincere apologies, I can appreciate this is frustrating.

I just want to make things clear before we look into this further - when you disconnected from BT, did you tell them that you wanted us at Virgin Media to take over your number?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Yes I did tell them at BT. Also one of your team assured me it was in hand. Then the day I was connected the engineer checked for me and was told that in fact it hadn’t been activated but that they would then activate it within 10 days. But I’ve heard nothing since and it just hasn’t happened.

From the many past topics about this on here ...

The default conditions for a successful number port, mentioned over and over again on here, seem to be that the number in question must be available on an active, working line which does not have any disconnection request in place on it. The idea is that the new provider takes control of the number from the working line and the original landline service then ceases. Have had to do this process myself for work numbers on a past occasion.

If a service ceases without the port happening, the number goes back into pool of numbers where it sits for a period of time before being recycled and getting it back again from the pool may not be possible (or specifically relies on making contact with exactly the right people at VM who do actually know how to make it happen).

VM's own processes in explaining the requirements to the customer, and carrying out the port reliably, often seem to be lacking when they are described on here and it has all gone wrong.

Hopefully your number is still 'in transit' somewhere and VM can recover it for you.

@goslow wrote:

From the many past topics about this on here ...

The default conditions for a successful number port, mentioned over and over again on here, seem to be that the number in question must be available on an active, working line which does not have any disconnection request in place on it. The idea is that the new provider takes control of the number from the working line and the original landline service then ceases. Have had to do this process myself for work numbers on a past occasion.

This is indeed true there can not be any sort or cease or cancellation or cease pending order against the number - not really VM’s fault rather an OFCOM reguation

If a service ceases without the port happening, the number goes back into pool of numbers where it sits for a period of time before being recycled and getting it back again from the pool may not be possible (or specifically relies on making contact with exactly the right people at VM who do actually know how to make it happen).

Also true, honestly if this happens than realistically the chances of you ever getting the number back are slim to none.

VM's own processes in explaining the requirements to the customer, and carrying out the port reliably, often seem to be lacking when they are described on here and it has all gone wrong.

By lacking, read incompetent or non existing.

Hopefully your number is still 'in transit' somewhere and VM can recover it for you.

Hope springs eternal, but realistically don’t hold your breath…..

goslow
Alessandro Volta

There's always hope!

And if the number has indeed gone back into the pool of numbers I have seen this mentioned

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/HELP-LAND-LINE-NUMBER-LOST/m-p/4570242#M146879

on this past topic where one provider has to make a 'favour request' to another provider to recover the lost number (by whatever means). Unfortunately this does require VM to communicate with another organisation to make it happen (communication not being a VM strength).

Whether or not this really is 'a thing', or not, I have no idea but it was mentioned above in the past.