cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline phones dead

spoons42
Joining in

My landline phone went dead a couple days ago, internet is OK.

I have plugged a corded phone into the Master wall socket - still dead.

As with other people , it seems impossible to talk to someone, and the web help is diabolical.

My wife uses a Telecare Line, and it is telling us every 5 minutes the phone is disconnected.

How can I get a Virgin Engineer to visit ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for confirming that Colin. 

Do you have 1 phone connected to the master and the other to the extension and they both have no dial tone? Or do you have two phones into 1 socket and if so, is that the master or the extension? 

How many other pieces of equipment do you have connected to the phoneline other than the phone?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello @spoons42

Welcome to the community

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your landline at the moment.

How many pieces of equipment are connected to the phone line?

There are a few troubleshooting checks I will need you to perform to see if they are successful in resolving the issue. Can you: 

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Let me know if any of these checks work at all, or if anything changes with the dial tone. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Hello Carley,

Thanks for your reply.

There are two phones connected to phone sockets.

I have done as you suggested , plugging a phone I know works into the main socket

There is still no dial tone.

For info , a similar thing happened some years ago.The engineer discovered a faulty wire in the !box` at the top of our road..

Thanks

Colin

Thank you for confirming that Colin. 

Do you have 1 phone connected to the master and the other to the extension and they both have no dial tone? Or do you have two phones into 1 socket and if so, is that the master or the extension? 

How many other pieces of equipment do you have connected to the phoneline other than the phone?

Here to help 🙂
Carley

That is correct, one connected to master near front door, and one plugged into another phone socket in the lounge.

Neither have dial tone.

My Wife`s Telecare box is connected to the phone in the lounge.

I have disconnected it from the phone, but made no difference.

Kind regards

Colin

Thanks for coming back to us Colin, this will need a tech visit.

I'll PM you now.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi spoons42

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in for the dial tone issue. This can be tracked via your online account - virg.in/myVM and also amended if needs be.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Many Thanks to Carley and John for helping me.

The engineer sorted out the problem, which turned out to be a dodgy wire outside the house.

All fine now.

Cheers

Colin

We're glad to hear they were able to help spoons42.

^Martin