cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline phone switchover

Julie2021
Tuning in

We received 30 days notice of  this switch over, I have been unable to deal with since then due to sister passing away. I can't get through on phones  can anyone advise on what happens if people do not have broadband? It I'd for my mum who has no idea what broadband or Internet even is! If she has to have it are VM charging for the broadband service as well as the landline?  And help very much  appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No she will not be charged for Broadband. A Virgin hub will be provided which the phone will plug into. Everything else the hub does will be disabled.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the hub based lines will not work during a power cut as the current lines do.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No she will not be charged for Broadband. A Virgin hub will be provided which the phone will plug into. Everything else the hub does will be disabled.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the hub based lines will not work during a power cut as the current lines do.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Julie2021, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community although I am sorry to hear about your recent loss. Please accept my condolences. 

As you've mentioned your mum doesn't have a broadband service with us currently, to get her new phone services switched to our fibre network, we’ll provide her with a Hub at no extra cost. 

If your mum relies on her landline for accessibility needs or doesn’t have a mobile to make an emergency call, we’ll provide her with an Emergency Back Up Line (EBUL) to make sure she's always able to call emergency services.

To do this we'd need to arrange an engineer to complete the switchover. We can either do that here or you can call us on 150 / 0345 454 1111. You can view more on the home switchover here

Pop back and let us know if you would like us to arrange the Visit. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you Kath, can you confirm if her landline costs would remain the same as her current plan? 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No costs will change, as you still have the same service. The only thing that changes is the technology VM use to get your calls to & from their exchange.

Hi Julie2021, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this one. 

There won't be any extra charges on your bill at all. There are few things that may change in terms of the extra features but this will depend on what features your mum has active currently. The link I gave you in my last post will give you all the information you need to know. 

If you have any further queries, pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath, what is the earliest engineer appointment   as we've been informed her line switches off tomorrow. She is classed as vulnerable and has no mobile phone access or broadband. She would need the back up line too. Is it possible to keep existing service until an engineer is available,  I am extremely worried this leaves her with no service to contact anyone if she takes ill or has an accident.  Many thanks x

To be able to check that we would need to access the account. I will private message you to confirm some details. 

^Martin

Her EBUL and handset will be plugged into the hub, so will this cause a problem if the power socket is in an awkward place? Also both the hub and EBUL require power 24/7 so her electricity bills will be higher, maybe £30pa as electricity prices are rising sharply.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection