Joining in
  •  
7 REPLIES 7

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Nickster,

Thank you for your post. 

Sadly there isn't on this post to help us with what your post is regarding. 

Can you expand on this?

^Martin

Hi Martin.

I recently switched to weekend only calls on my landline (which I assume means call free at weekend, but during the week, any outgoing calls are charged?). But also since the the switch the landline phone has been acting a bit weird, screeching noises sometimes but often, especially in the evening, the phone will ring just once?

Many thanks,

Nick

HI Nickster,

Thanks for explaining 
Can I just ask if you have tried alternative phone?

If not then it might be best, but I guess it will need an engineers visit to fix 
I can look into this arranging this for you 
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hi all,

I'm still having landline issues, most of the time there is no dial tone, occasionaly it rings on its own just once, if there is a partial connection you get a screeching noise. There is usually a message saying please check your landline. But sometimes it works ok for 2 or 3 days? I think it was originally a bt line but virgin took it over years ago when I joined. I'm getting so frustrated with it. Strange thing is that these problems started after I changed my package to weekend calls only - is that just coincidence? My wife is not well and housebound and I don't really want engineers if I can help it. I only have the one landline socket so can't test it anywhere else. I have also bought another phone but that also has the same problems. Thanks for any suggestions.

Nick

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Nickster, 

Thank you for your reply, I am sorry to hear you are still having issues with this. I can see you were in PM with Gareth, was a tech not organised?

Zoie

Hi Zoie,

Thanks for replying. As I also mentioned to gareth, I was trying to see if anyone had any ideas of what they thought the problem might be going by everything I put in my message rather than just sending an engineer out (reasons why, also mentioned). Could it be just coincidence that this problem started after I changed my package and switched to weekend only calls?

Many yhanks

Nick

Hi Nick, thank you for coming back to us. 

I am sorry to hear of your landline issues and understand your concerns due to your ongoing situation at home. 

As you would prefer we do not send a technician just yet I have a few questions for you which will may help us troubleshoot further. 

1) You mentioned the phone occasionally rings just once - has this happened at any specific times or dates? And if so has there been any pattern to this happening? (Eg, it always seems to happen at 1pm on a Wednesday)

2) You mentioned a screeching noise happening occasionally - does this happen only from inbound calls? Does this ever happen when making outbound calls?

3) Do you have a consistent dial tone? Are you noticing this also drop alongside the other issues?

4) Are all of your telephone features also working? (1471, Caller ID, Voicemail, etc)

5) Have you received any reports from friends or family of trying to call you but not getting connected (meaning you are not receiving all inbound calls)?

6) If the answer to number 5 is yes, are any of these missed calls coming from landlines or mobile numbers from a specific network or service provider? If you have any examples this is excellent, just let us know (Please don't feel the need to post any of these on the public thread to keep this data secure, we can send you a PM to get it at a later date if needed.)

We will do our best to offer further support from the information provided. Sadly with Landline faults particularly they can be complicated and require a technicians visit to identify and resolve. Hopefully we can move forward with this from the answers you provide to start with. 

All the best! 

Molly