cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline phone not working after incoming caller did not replace receiver

willtup2
Tuning in

Hi there has anyone any experience with receiving a call on a landline phone then the caller not replacing the handset /disconnecting and therefore the line remains active ? I now cannot ring out or receive calls - spoke to VM several times who dont have a clue what to do to fix this. When i pick up the phone I get an empty vacant sound but no dial tone. Have agreed to VM sending an engineer but think this would surely be a problem better addressed their end as it seems to me that it should just be a case of resetting the line at the exchange ?? VM's solutions suggested so far have been to disconnect me completely !! or to give me a new telephone number ?? I am just exasperated at this point !

3 REPLIES 3

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi willtup2,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with the line.

Can you try unplugging your phone from the wall and leaving it for 10/ 15 minutes before plugging back in?

Let me know if this helps.

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex yes have already done all the preliminary things such as unplugging phone and leaving for over an hour before re-plugging in, have also done same again and then plugged in a different home phone but sadly neither solutions worked, hence me posting to ask if anyone knew what could be done at VM's end as I believe the fault is with the line not being cleared as this happened straight after an incoming call.

Thanks for confirming,

I've had a closer look from our side, and it does actually look like there is a fault with the line so the engineer would indeed be needed.

Please let us know how the visit goes.

Alex_Rm