cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline number not transferred

Dave19741
On our wavelength

Hi there,

So we’ve recently transferred from BT to Virgin and I’ve got to say so far I’m regretting the decision.

Firstly we requested to keep our existing landline number which we believed would be transferred over when our Virgin services commenced - but this hasn’t happened.

I phoned the helpline this evening and they told me it couldn’t be transferred because the number is no longer in use!!!

I can’t believe something so simple can be messed up, surely this is one of the most common requests from customers when switching??

Really not happy!! Anyone had similar problems and if so did you manage to resolve?

Thanks 

12 REPLIES 12

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It can take up to 10 days for Virgin to port a number once your service is up & running as they have totally seperate exchange infrastructure.

Ports usually fail due to incorrect procedures being followed for porting landlines, which is a different process to porting mobile numbers.

Under OFCOM rules when you request a new provider to take over a telephone number they must handle the ENTIRE process. This includes cancellation of the account with the old provider. The mistake customers commonly make is to then also give notice to their old provider. This has the effect of marking the line as "pending disconnection", which will then prevent any number porting requests from completing. Once the line is disconnected by the old provider it is nigh on impossible to retrieve the number.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Dave19741

Thanks for your post 

I think what has been advised already is correct, sadly the number and BT account that is no longer active will not be able to be brought over 

There is a way if you contact BT to see if they can reactivate the line then we can request the number 

But that is dependent on BT being able to do that 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth
Thanks for your response, although I’m still non the wiser as to why this wasn’t done by Virgin in the first place.

We did request that the number was transferred so I don’t understand, and I’ve had no explanation as to why this hasn’t been done.

looks like it’s all back on the customer (me) to rectify by trying to contact BT in order to get the line re-instated.

Not a great customer experience to be honest. Surely if numbers are being transferred between suppliers, then they should handle the whole process??

Thanks for replying Dave19741

I agree completely, its not a great start and it should have been arranged at point of sale 

What channel did you take to join us , online or speaking to an agent 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

All done online. Would really appreciate it if this could be sorted.

Thanks 

Hi again Dave19741

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news

The only way it can be resolved is if the BT account was reactivated for set period, your number would then be available and we can contact BT again to request the number to come over 

That the only possible way right now sorry

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

thanks again for your help, it’s not the answer I was hoping for tbh.

Looks like I’ll have to talk to BT then.

in the meantime how do I raise a complaint with Virgin?

Thanks 

Hi Dave19741

It's not the answer I was looking to give either 

To raise a complaint you can do so here 

Regards 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

ive just spoken to BT who have told me they can’t do anything unfortunately as the line is no longer live.

They have said that Virgin can carry out a ‘Re-number’ so our original number.can be used. 
Is this possible? Can you please advise.

Thanks