cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working

Suio
Joining in

Problem with landline, no dial tone to ring out. Tried new telephone handset but still a problem. Can't ring virgin from landline to report landline not working. When you ring home number caller goes to voicemail. 

Help please. Checked postcode for any known issues - none.

Frustrating. Have tried troubleshooting suggestions on website.

5 REPLIES 5

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Suio

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear of the landline issue.
Are you plugged into the master socket? It will have a larger socket and contain a logo of Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex. Any extension sockets will be smaller and have no logo. Do you have any other pieces of equipment connected to your phone socket? This may include:
• Other telephones 
• Personal Computers 
• Faxes 
• Modems 
• Satellite TV digiboxes 
• Micro-filters 
• ADSL modem or router 
If so, is it more or less than three? 
There are a few troubleshooting checks I will need you to perform to see if they are successful in resolving the issue. Can you: 
• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON. 
• Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets. 
• Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Let me know. Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Yes tried all suggestions. Less than three items. Have telewest logo on main socket. New handset and base tried and now fully charged. Still no dialling tone. Can provide a mobile number to speak to me. Not sure if this reply is private so won't post number here. Just so want this issue sorted as my mother in hospital and really need landline to be working. Thank you. 

Hi Suio,

Thanks for coming back to me with confirmation. It will be a tech visit so I shall send you a PM now to assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @Suio

That PM is a private message. Please respond to it with the details requested so I can assist further.

Kind regards

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi Suio,

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in. The visit will be available to view, track, amend or even cancel if needed, in your online account - virg.in/myVM - within the next hours. 

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team