cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working

Nik_B
On our wavelength

Hi VM

Posting on behalf of elderly mother who is house bound and has a home call fall monitor linked through phone line.

Discovered earlier today that Phone line is not allowing incoming/outgoing calls and there is no dialling tone.

Phone is connected through wall socket and all cables and connections have been double checked.

Service status does not detect any issues in local area.

Can you please help?

Regards

Nick

9 REPLIES 9

Nik_B
On our wavelength

Hi VM

Posting on behalf of elderly mother who is house bound and has a home call fall monitor linked through phone line.

Discovered earlier today that Phone line is not allowing incoming/outgoing calls and there is no dialling tone.

Phone is connected through wall socket and all cables and connections have been double checked.

Service status does not detect any issues in local area.

Can you please help?

Regards

Nick

Nik_B
On our wavelength
This message was originally posted on Landline - Home Phone but has some how ended up under the Broadband thread?

Can you please move it to the appropriate thread. Assume it where I selected Quick start, Setup & Connections when creating post.

Nick

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Not clear from your posts if your mother is a new or existing VM customer. Are you posting in 'Quick Start' because your mother is a new VM customer?

If so, all new VM phone connections are via the TEL1 socket on the back of the hub. If not a new customer, and using a traditional telephone wall socket, topic would probably have been better off back in 'Home Phone' for usual landline diagnosis, repair etc.

Nik_B
On our wavelength

Hi goslow thanks for reply.

My Mother is an existing customer who has landline and tv only, no broadband.

This post was not intended for broadband thread hence 2nd post. It ended up here because I selected ‘connections’ from drop down on original post.

Dont know if I can re-direct or have to re-post under home phone.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sounds like a landline fault as you have already done some checking yourself.

For the purposes of a test, have you tried the phone direct into the master telephone wall socket (bypassing the alarm unit) to check the alarm unit is not causing an issue? And also trying a different phone direct into the master telephone wall socket (to check you don't have a phone handset issue)?

Would your mother have been aware of any notifications she might have been sent advising of VM doing a switchover to the new 21CV connection from the hub (which she wouldn't have)? There have been some past posts about TV/landline customers being caught out this way when the phone has suddenly gone off. Doubtful it would be this but not impossible.

Forum team will respond here within a day or two to advise on the above and hopefully get the phone fixed for you.

Good Afternoon @Nik_B, I'd be happy to take a look into your Mother's account for you and will drop you a private message to obtain your Mother's details

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for coming back to me over our PM service @Nik_B,

As you suggested to me, this has now been marked as resolved, following the recent outage.

Have you been able to check in on your Mother-in-Law to see if the landline is now working as expected?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Nik_B
On our wavelength

All seems to be working as it should, thanks for your help.

Hope you have a good Christmas.

Regards

Nick

Excellent, thanks for the update @Nik_B!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, and best wishes of course to your Mother-in-Law

Kindest regards,

David_Bn