cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working

helphelphelpme
Joining in

I have no dial tone at all, and haven't done for the past few months. We never really use the landline so I never found it a problem. The service status says no network problems.

I've got an old telewest cable socket and a normal phone line socket next to it - I've tried the phone both in this socket and in the back of the hub but no avail. I can't remember the original set up as we've had VM for years now. I've tried 2 different handsets, neither work. The only thing I can think of is that the cable I've plugged into the back of the hub is the cable that came with the phone - if there was a different cable supplied by VM then it has been lost in the mists of time.

Can anyone help?

4 REPLIES 4

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Helphelphelpme,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your landline. When it was installed and working was this plugged into the wall socket? Have you been advised you upgraded to the voice-over-internet? 

I have managed to locate your account and can see there is no voice-over-internet installed. And the line looks fine, can you give me more info when it's plugged into the wall can it be called or call out? Is there a dial tone? Or silence ?

Zoie

Hi Zoe

We've had VM for about 5 years, and I don't recall being told about an upgrade to voice over internet. I'm fairly sure the phone has always plugged into the wall socket. There's no dial tone when I pick the receiver up. I've tried to make an outgoing call but that doesn't work. When I call in from my mobile I can hear ringing but the landline phone doesn't ring.

Also, the account is linked to my wife's email and this forum account is on mine - do you need up to date account info to properly locate the account? I had a VM account years ago at a different address.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi helphelphelpme,

I did locate the account, and that's fine it if is not in your name, I can still get a technician out for you as it seems there may be an issue with your landline, I will pop you over a PM and will get this looked into.

Keep an eye out for the purple envelope.

Zoie

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi helphelphelpme,

Thanks for messaging with me, glad I could get an engineer booked in for you to take look at your landline, if you have any issues let us know. If you want to view or change your appointment you can do so here under Help > Orders and Appointments.

Let us know how your tech visit goes.

Zoie