cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working (no tone at all), internet is fine

Pam1066
Tuning in

Hello,

Similar problem to others I think. Landline is not working, no tone at all, just dead.

Phone icon was flashing red on V3 hub. Tried turning off and on again, red flashing light gone but no change to phone line, still dead.

Tried another phone in same socket, still dead. Tried other phone socket as well no good either.

Checked the service status online, no fault found. I left it a day and still says no issues on the line.

Internet is working without issue.

Can you check from your side and advise otherwise. I don't have a contract mobile phone so it would cost me quite a lot to wait on the helpline.

82 REPLIES 82

Guess what I don’t need a new hub phone still isn’t working with no sign of the outage being fixed I’m f…… fuming 

why phone around on Friday being all polite and nice on the phone trying the number,being told I need a new hub when the outage which apparently stems from India yes India hasn’t been fixed and there are no signs of it being fixed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SORT IT OUT AND STOP FOBBING US OFF and it would be nice if your departments actually talk to each other !

Still nowt !

An update, I was PM that the fault had been resolved and I should check it before tomorrow when the engineer is due to visit.

So I picked up the phone and there was a dial tone 😁, although the dial tone was slightly odd, not quite normal 🤔. So i tried receiving a call and it went through and was clear and ok. In the PM message I was advised to reboot the hub so I did that at this point.

So I turned off the hub and then turned it back on again and waited for it to reboot and settle. Now the line is dead again 😞 with the internet working as normal.

So I think we will still need the service visit that's due for tomorrow. For anyone with the same issue it would be worth checking that any 'fix' can survive the hub being rebooted.

Thanks Pam

Hi @Pam1066
Thank you for confirming that. We will keep the tech appointment as is. With the dial tone sounding noisy, odd or buzzing, I would have still recommend the tech come to investigate if the reboot had not resolved the dial tone to it's usual tone. Let me know how you get on tomorrow and hopefully this will be resolved for you. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hello,

Engineer came, and unfortunately no fix.

What I did find out is that this is a larger network issue that is effecting a number of people in Lincolnshire and it seems to have been caused when they transfer people from the old phone system to the new Voice over IP system. In doing so they caused a number of people who were already on the VOIP system (i.e. myself) to have problems / no phone connection. No issues with the hardware here on hub or phone.

It seems that this has been going on for a number of weeks (probably 3-4 based on others comments here). 

The bigger issue seems to be an information breakdown. We post on here and representatives have little information that there is a proper network level issue so they arrange to send engineer around (probably as per standard protocols). They come round knowing that if it is the network issue that they will not be able to do anything, i'm sure very frustrating to them to waste the time and cost. Virgin must know about this network level issue but they have not put any information out to potentially affected customers, leaving them in the dark. Their own online service checker doesn't even hint there may be some issues...!

It seems so simple, communicate to your customers with real information even if its to say 'we know there is an issue, but we do not have an estimate on fix date time yet, we will update as soon as possible' and keep updating even if its to say we still don't know. People get annoyed if they are just getting fobbed off with no info. Its frustrating for customers, Engineers and helpline support who work for virgin...its really not rocket science.

I can only hope that maybe one of the customer service representatives is able to pass this message up the tree and that, that person sends it on....until it gets to someone who has the authority to be able to give the go ahead to communicate information out. 😞

Hi @Pam1066, I am so sorry that this has not been resolved for you with the technician visit.  I can see they have raised a ticket to have this looked into further as the outage has been closed as fixed for the area and seems only a few are still experiencing issues. We can see information posted about outages with a remedy/outage number (so in this case F009708923), and was aware that the issue was from the IPv6 migration. We'll keep an eye on this for you to see if anything come back. In the meantime please keep us updated if anything changes at your end. 

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

For your information our similar problem in DN34 (Landline not working (no tone at all), internet is fine) has now been resolved following a technician visit this afternoon (arranged through a private message). The problem was in a nearby box where there appear to have been a number of recent issues. Thanks to all who helped.

jcolling

Hi,

Glad they were able to fix yours quickly. The problem here (LN3) seems to be with moving people to new IP phone system unfortunately.

Thanks

Pam 

Hello,

I had a call yesterday from a technician on the line, who said they still have a problem that they are still working through, but they are having to reset the lines or something each day until they can formulate a longer term fix. The dial tone is still odd (sounds a bit like an engaged tone) but it seems to be able to make and receive calls. I think if the hub is turned off or there is a power cut this temporary solution will stop working.

Can you confirm F009708923 is still listed as open and the problem is not fully fixed?

Thanks

Pam

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Pam1066,

I have checked and the F0 ticket is showing as restored, how it is for you at the moment?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide