Menu
Highlighted
daveydear
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Landline not ringing

Hello, before I start ,I have contacted Virgin and have an engineer coming on Monday.

My problem is my landline, which has worked perfectly for 5+ years has recently developed a problem. Firstly the ringtone became a bit erratic, then the answer phone wouldn't kick in, finally it stopped ringing. When ringing my landline from a mobile I can hear the the ringing  tone, if I pick up the landline the call is answered, so the phone functions ok apart   from it wont ring. I can make calls from the landline

Thinking it was the phone at fault I bought a new one , which has exactly the same problem.

I was just curious if anyone had similar problems, and did Virgin fix it

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline not ringing

I have had a similar issue in the past and a couple of other landline issues over the last 18 years, which have all been resolved by a VM engineer visit.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey Daveydear, 

Really sorry you're having an issue with your landline, it's not what we like to hear. 

I can appreciate you posted this on Friday so I'd like to ask if it's been sorted since?

If not then let us know and we can have a closer look via a personal message 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
daveydear
Dialled in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies. I have an engineer  coming tomorrow, so i will let you know what happens, Cheers

0 Kudos
daveydear
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok,so the problem seems to be sorted. Apparently the phone rang this morning, ( yes the phone actually rang ) which my wife answered ,It was Virgin to say they had had other people in the area with complaints and had fixed the problem without the need to visit anyone.

One last thing, having just arrived home from work, there is a man claiming to be from Virgin, my wife did not let him in, and said I would be home imminently. He seemed a tiny bit abrupt, and said he was here to check the paperwork and the internal something.

I said as no engineer had visited the house and no work carried out, there was no need for him to enter the house, he then said if i did not want him to come in that was ok. 

He was wearing a red Virgin fleece but was driving a white audi. I shut the door on him.

Is this normal to have people checking up on other employees ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us daveydear.

I'm glad to hear that your number is now working as it should do.

I'm sorry if there was any confusion caused when the man came to your door, as I can appreciate you wouldn't be expecting it.

Did the man have an identity card on him that he showed to your wife?

Thanks

Melissa 

daveydear
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Melissa, the man did not offer any identity card, and neither of us asked to see one, I was very perplexed that an unexpected person should want to see non existent paperwork or check any work that had not  been carried out.Although he wouldn't know the earlier appointment had been cancelled

The fact he was driving a normal car unsettled me.

However if he was bogus, how on earth would he know an engineer was due earlier , even though the appointment was cancelled

Cheers

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It sounds like this may have been one of our team from what you've said, however I would be unable to confirm this without any details unfortunately.

If you are ever in any doubt, I would always recommend asking to see a copy of their identity card to prove who they are.

Thank you,

Melissa 

daveydear
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Melissa.

One last thing, I don't use the landline much, but I noticed tonight the caller ID seems to have gone . Is this a free service , I can't see it on my bill , cheers

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

On 1 October 2018 Ofcom banned phone companies from charging customers for caller display as it's a service which helps people to screen unwanted calls.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection