cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not Working.

Harg
Tuning in

Hi,

My landline suddenly stopped working and the phone is stating 'Check Phone Line'. It's not an old phone and the line does ring if I call it from my mobile, but the phone itself does not ring. I then tried to connect the phone to my Superhub (3.0) but that didn't work, I later read that if you have a landline then VOIP won't work, or something along those lines.

Please could you advise me further as we need the use of the landline. Is VOIP and option here? I really don't know much about it tbh.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Harg

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of the landline issue. I will advise if we've never got in touch with you to migrate you to the phone line via the router, you're not on that service. Please plug the phone line back in to the wallsocket if that's the case 🙂

Are you plugged into the master socket? It will have a larger socket and contain a logo of Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex. Any extension sockets will be smaller and have no logo. 

Do you have any other equipment plugged into the phone, if so, is it more or less than three? This can include things like other telephones, faxes, personal computers, modems etc. 

Finally;

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON. 
• Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets. 
• Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in. 
Let me know how you get on.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.

The phone socket 'Cable Tel', comes via a larger device which also has 'Cable Tel' writing on it; I have now plugged the phone back in, and it is powered. We do not have any other devices connected through the main socket, just the phone itself.

I have tried restarting the phone as per the instructions, this included unplugging the phone and removing the rechargable batteries, then restarting, but the problem persists. Unfortunately, we do not have another landline to be able to use to check if the problem lies with the phone, however, I don't believe it's the phone as it isn't that old and shows no obvious signs of a problem. I have also tried plugging the phone into another (old) line upstairs, but sadly this didn't work either.

The phone is now switched on and connected to the 'Cable Tel' phone socket, which is old and shows signs of wear. We would be willing to use the Superhub for the phone, if this is a simpler resolution.

Hi Harg,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to hear after trying everything John has advised the phone line still isn't working, I will be more than happy to arrange a technician for you however if it does turn out to be the handset there will be a £25.00 callout charge, if there is a friend/ Neighbour who would let you try one of theirs I would advise this first.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul,

OK, I will see if I can borrow another landline first just to ensure it isn't the phone, that does seem the most sensible course of action. I will post back the result and then take it from there.

Thank you.

You are very welcome, if required we will then invite you into a private chat, so we can help further.

Regards

Paul.