cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline issues

Sandy143
Joining in

Suggestions please, over the past few weeks my landline has started to give one ring then nothing, when I check number called nothing has registered (not even number withheld)!  The latest call was about 0530hrs on Thus or Fri morning but these happen during the day too.  The line has also started crackling intermittently and yesterday wouldn't work at all. I switched the phone off and on still nothing but when I did it today after checking on Virgin Media how to fix faults it started working. I have a phone in the bedroom and living room but have checked both🤷‍♀️ Any info before I start going down the engineer route would be greatly  appreciated as I know how busy they can be. Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Sandy143,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with your landline. 

I have ran through some checks on your line. Can you try following the troubleshooting steps below: 

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

If the issue persists, we will need to book a technician for you. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the reply Ayisha, we've never had a VM phone socket, the one I use is the one we've always used (15 years+). The box with my VM wires still has telewest on it so as you can see nothing's been updated for a while. I have tried all other suggestions but no luck I'm afraid.

Hi Sandy143,

Thanks for getting back to us, after further checks it does look like an engineer is required.

I'll need a few more details from you before I can arrange this, I've popped you over private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Thanks for sending your details over via private message Sandy143

I've arranged for a technician to visit, you can view the time and date of your appointment via your online account here

Alex_Rm