cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline is not working.

wozzer52
On our wavelength

Landline has been out of action for about a week. Don't use much except for calls from my elderly father.

No dial tone but it will ring if I call landline from my mobile but I cannot answer the call.

I have tried the test as per VM website. ie open the wall box and use the test socket.

Shows on cordless phone 'check phone line'.

Thanks for any help please.

Warren

7 REPLIES 7

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @wozzer52,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your landline service! I completely understand how frustrating this can be. I'll do my best to help. 

Can you tell us if the socket that your landline is connected to is a Master socket (a socket with a logo on it), or an Extension socket (socket without a logo)? If you're not connected to a Master socket, please try this to see if this will enable your landline dial tone.

Do you only have this landline plugged in at your property, or do you have other equipment plugged into the wall sockets, such as other landlines, Modems, Faxes, anything like that? 

Please check the following to see if this can help resolve your landline issue: 

• Please check that the phone is seated in the base unit correctly and powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to the telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring that this is a Virgin Media socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo.

Please keep us updated on how you get on and if your landline is still not working, we'll be able to investigate further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the Pauline. 

Yes it is a VM box. One extension was attached but I removed it for the test.

Phone is seated correctly.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @wozzer52,

Thank you for coming back to us about your ongoing landline issue. Can you confirm if these checks have resolved your issue, or are you still experiencing problems?

Keep me updated so I can help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

My landline issue is still the same. No dial tone etc.

Hi wozzer52,

Thank you for reaching back out, sorry to hear you still don't have a working landline, were you able to also try a different handset just to make sure that isn't the issue?

Regards

Paul.

wozzer52
On our wavelength

A quick update. I booked an engineer to visit tomorrow (Friday). However, my dad rang me today on the landline which was a surprise as I was still under the impression it wasn't working. The volume was a bit low and some background noise, but it works. Not sure whether the line had been repaired remotely,

but I wouldn't have known if the call hadn't come in.

I have cancelled the engineer. 

Many thanks for the response.

Hi there @wozzer, thanks for the update.

I'm glad to hear the landline issue has been resolved, please let us know if you have any further issues with this as we can have a look at arranging a tech for you again if it is not an area issue.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules