cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline internal sockets with new hub

tiger_1310
Dialled in

Having a mare with Virgin Media...spent a couple of hours on the phone trying to get it resolved!

Short story, I had internal phone sockets with old landline which got moved to a landline connected to a new superhub (against my wishes).  Now none of my internal phone sockets around the house work...surely there is a way to have them working again, anyone know how?

Also, I've got a new phone number when I didn't want one...I want to keep the old number, I have spoken to someone at VM who says they will get this done, but I no longer trust anything they say given how much I have been let down!

Feel like it would be easier to just switch everything away!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@tiger_1310 wrote:
<snip>

Thanks for the reply...the swapover was today. I have an engineer booked for Tuesday, I really hope they will be able to reconnect the existing phone sockets!

The original line has been disconnected, I really need the number to port over to the new line...I spoke to VM who say they are going to do that, I just hope they do it this time!

If you were swapped today, then VM should reinstate your existing extension sockets to work with the VM hub as part of the switchover process.

See my usual copy/paste reply to this question below ...

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @tiger_1310 

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear of the issues you have been having since your landline switchover. We want to do our best to help. 

The landline switchover is a change being made by many Internet service providers as the old copper system comes out of use https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/ You can find out all you need to know about the switchover here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone-Switchover/gh-p/Switchover Unfortunately, you will not be able to go back to using the old cooper system once the change is made. I can however see you have recently been in contact with our team so you can keep your old number. Our team will do their best to help regarding this port. Is there anything else we can help with today? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@tiger_1310 wrote:

Having a mare with Virgin Media...spent a couple of hours on the phone trying to get it resolved!

Short story, I had internal phone sockets with old landline which got moved to a landline connected to a new superhub (against my wishes).  Now none of my internal phone sockets around the house work...surely there is a way to have them working again, anyone know how?

Also, I've got a new phone number when I didn't want one...I want to keep the old number, I have spoken to someone at VM who says they will get this done, but I no longer trust anything they say given how much I have been let down!

When did you swap over to the phone connection from the VM hub?

If it was done recently, VM should offer to reconnect your existing phone sockets to the VM hub, free of charge, as part of the switchover process.

If you have been given a new number though, it sounds as if something has interrupted the process, your original line was disconnected and you were reconnected via the hub with another number.

Thanks @Akua_I  I really hope that they do port the old number back as that is the most frustrating thing for the family to suddenly not have the number everyone uses to call us on! And certainly not what we wanted and specifically said not to do that!

We have an engineer coming on Tuesday...will they be able to get our internal phone sockets connected to the new line?  

@goslow wrote:

@tiger_1310 wrote:

When did you swap over to the phone connection from the VM hub?

If it was done recently, VM should offer to reconnect your existing phone sockets to the VM hub, free of charge, as part of the switchover process.

If you have been given a new number though, it sounds as if something has interrupted the process, your original line was disconnected and you were reconnected via the hub with another number.

Thanks for the reply...the swapover was today. I have an engineer booked for Tuesday, I really hope they will be able to reconnect the existing phone sockets!

The original line has been disconnected, I really need the number to port over to the new line...I spoke to VM who say they are going to do that, I just hope they do it this time!

@tiger_1310 wrote:
<snip>

If you were swapped today, then VM should reinstate your existing extension sockets to work with the VM hub as part of the switchover process.

See my usual copy/paste reply to this question below ...

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Thanks for coming back to us tiger_1310, the engineer will be able to rewire your sockets on the upcoming visit.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Further update...so the phone number that I was supposed to have has now ported to my line...but I can't actually receive any calls on it.  The caller gets a 'number not recognised' beep (3 short beeps) or something like that.

I do have an engineer coming tomorrow but that is to try and get my internal sockets working.  Will the engineer also be able to fix the not being able to receive calls issue or will I have to go back to calling the help number again?

Hi @tiger_1310 

The engineer can take a look at this for you tomorrow. 

If there's any issues, let us know. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs