cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline fail second time in 2 weeks usual Virgin misinformation

aprings63
On our wavelength

My landline went down approx 8pm last night. The phone rang, one ring, no time to answer, no one there, then the line is dead. We have a home alarm connected to the line, that also says telephone line fail.

Virign status checker says no landline issues in.my area. I went round the circular route in the horrifically non customer friendly website several times, we'll run tests and call back for result in 10 minutes.  Of course it doesn't, there are no results and all routes on the website or calls take you back to this. Poor underfunded Virgin has no one available to talk so I call today. 

Oh yeah the lines are down while work on hr switchover to fibre phone lines is going on. Didn't we contact you. Of course not, why would you tell customers and let them plan around the withdrawal of a service they pay for.

And of course up several times in the ight as the alarm keeps bleeping erros. Nice.

Exactly the same happened approx 2 weeks ago, waste time on the website fix and test rubbish. Eventually speak to someone ....  check your phone appliances, have you moved it, are you plugged into a real box or extension box, must be faulty at your end as Virigin is fine, blah blah blah blah we'll send an engineer in 4-5 days. Oh, magic, 2 days later the line is working again and Virgin cancels the engineer visit.

So what now, I wait until Thursday for an engineer. No I don't want a new hub etc etc and a new contract etc etc , I just want the service I pay for (£149 per month, VM customer at least 20 years ....  why?) to work. 

Any comment Virgin? Any chance you fix this fault that is clearly at your end not mine ASAP and let me have the service I've been paying you for, for so many many years???

13 REPLIES 13

aprings63
On our wavelength

Thanks for taking the time to reply but I do not believe this is a new fault. And recurrence, hard to believe that's completely correct, not a recurrence of yesterday's issue but more a recurrence of the local area having an ongoing problem and probably also Virgin workng on switching landlines to cable (I was told in a call yesterday this was the cause). So all in all , a recurrence maybe, but a recurrence of Virgin causing the problem through its own upgrade work or incompetence or both, and a recurrence of failure to communicate to your customers. Unlike when prices rise or you want to sell a contract upgrade and communications happen in nanoseconds. Oh, and of course, still no problems in my area according to your status checker.

Hi aprings63, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

The digital switchover is taking place and we are moving areas over gradually however work for this isn't related to any faults on the copper line as we don't need to do anything with that since the new lines are provided through the hub so this would not be the cause of the fault. 

I know it's frustrating when the landline doesn't work but for now, there is nothing more we can do but wait for the teams to resolve things. There is an estimated fix of 4pm this afternoon so please let us know how things are after this. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

aprings63
On our wavelength

To save customes lots of wasted time trying to go through your online maintenance routines and long winded call times, wouldn't it be better if you added this fault status and fix time to your status checker page. Be nice if that was reliably accurate. 

Thanks for coming back to us aprings63, I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the concerned teams to help us to provide a better service for all of our customers.

I hope that all of your service issues will be resolved before the estimated fix time of 4pm this afternoon. Please do keep us updated.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L