cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline down

jandacooper
Up to speed

Hi, started off today with heavy crackling when I took a call, and a few minutes later, no dial tone. Virgin site reports no defects and it isn't (as far as I can tell) my handsets.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good afternoon jandacooper. Thanks for posting and sorry for the phone line issue.

Are you plugged into the master socket? It will have a larger socket and contain a logo of Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex. Any extension sockets will be smaller and have no logo.

Do you have any other pieces of equipment connected to your phone socket? This may include:
• Other telephones 
• Personal Computers 
• Faxes 
• Modems 
• Satellite TV digiboxes 
• Micro-filters 
• ADSL modem or router

If any other equipment, is it more or less than 3 pieces?

Finally can you do the below for me;

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON. 
• Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets. 
• Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jandacooper
Up to speed
bizarrely, I can't log in to my virgin media account with the main user name, either...

Now, I have rung my landline from my mobile, and it rang the handset, answered it to heavy noise on the line. Hung up, still no dial tone - hope this helps!

Good afternoon jandacooper. Thanks for posting and sorry for the phone line issue.

Are you plugged into the master socket? It will have a larger socket and contain a logo of Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex. Any extension sockets will be smaller and have no logo.

Do you have any other pieces of equipment connected to your phone socket? This may include:
• Other telephones 
• Personal Computers 
• Faxes 
• Modems 
• Satellite TV digiboxes 
• Micro-filters 
• ADSL modem or router

If any other equipment, is it more or less than 3 pieces?

Finally can you do the below for me;

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON. 
• Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets. 
• Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi there John_GS - . I have nothing else at all connected to my phone line at all, getting my other VM services via cable. My home phone is a wireless unit, the base to which is connected by plug to a (larger) unbranded square socket installed back in the days of NTL. I have removed and replugged it, and checked that my home wireless handsets both appear to be working correctly as far as I can, they both have no dial tone, just a faint crackling buzz.I have no alternative handset to plug in. Hope this helps!.

FYI. Apart from the login issue my cable TV and Broadband appear normal.

Hi jandacooper

Thanks for coming back to me and doing the above. 

Ok this will need a tech visit now so I shall go ahead and send you a PM now to help further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

PM responded to as of now - thanks.

Thanks for joining me on PM, jandacooper

Just to update the thread, the engineer visit has been booked in. This can be tracked and/or re-arranged if needed in your online account

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

John_GS
Forum Team

Successful tech visit, engineer registered my onto the Virgin telephone service vis my Hub. 

Great to hear jandacooper 🙂

Thanks for letting us know.

Alex_Rm