cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline dead - Mother needs it!

Marcus_10
Joining in

Sorry if this has been asked about before, but a few weeks ago my mother lost the use of her Virgin Media landline. It is just dead - No dial tone or anything. She has tried and tried to get in touch with Virgin to fix the problem, and the website just sends her round and round in circles getting nowhere. She relies on that landline, not having a mobile phone, and she's getting pretty stressed at the lack of help. Anyone else experienced this, and managed to find a solution to the problem, or even managed to contact an actual human being they can speak to?

4 REPLIES 4

Koda
Up to speed

Has she been contacted recently about the landline migration from analog to digital by any chance?

Virgin Media, and all other network infrastructure operators in the UK are switching off the copper wire phone networks. Customers are being migrated to the new digital service meaning you need to plug the phone into the back of the Virgin Media hub instead. An adaptor should have been supplied if one wasn't already. 

Virgin Media staff will be along in due course and will likely be able to help you out. But if you want to get the ball rolling sooner and you happen to be nearby then having her call from your mobile on 0345 454 1111 Would be a good option too.

Ideally, it's recommended that she gets a mobile phone because the phoneline now comes through the internet. If there is a power outage or the internet goes off there would be no telephone service anymore... Virgin Media can provide an emergency backup line that uses the mobile network in these situations, but it would only be to call 999. If she would like additional connectivity then a mobile phone would be beneficial, even if just for emergencies and adverse events. 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Marcus_10, thank you for joining our help forums and for your first post.
A warm welcome to the VM community. 🙂

We're sorry to hear of the issue with your mother's landline currently and the inconvenience this has caused.

We'd love to help, especially as from what you've explained we're dealing with a customer that needs access to our services and those are of vital importance to them!

In regard to the line not working, we'd need to check a couple of things. 
Please, have a read here to get all the info and details regarding the landline migration process we gradually do on our network throughout the UK.

Would you be able to confirm whether we've sent any communication (emails or letters) about switching the lines in the area from copper to fibre?

Also, do you know if your mother has received an adaptor to use and is there a hub already in the property?

We'll be here to assist further, please let us know of the above.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

No, as far as I'm aware, she has not received an adapter of any description, and she was not contacted to inform her of any switchover. She just picked up the phone one day and it had stopped working. I've been trying to help her get it fixed, but the website is getting me absolutely nowhere, round and round in circles trying to call a number that is of no help at all. 

One thing I need to correct from my original post: My mother does have a phone, but it's just a basic one, as in not a smartphone. She told me something about being instructed to download an app, which she cannot do with the phone she has.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Marcus_10 

Thanks for your response and sorry to hear about the issue with your landline.

I'm going to drop you a private message to confirm a few further details and look to get this sorted for you. Keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs