cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline connection when moving Broadband to another supplier

KD64
Tuning in

If I was to move my Broadband from Virgin Media to another supplier, such as Sky, would I just be able to plug my Landline straight into the new supplier’s modem or, would I need to get some new equipment from the new supplier. For example Sky, unlike VM, uses the Openreach network. Sky’s website talks about having an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) in order to use a Landline with their Broadband.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. 

4 REPLIES 4

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey KD64, thanks for joining our help forums and for your first posts here.
A warm welcome to our community. 🙂

We'd love to advise on this, although we'd be sad to see you go.

Firstly, to switch providers you'd need to check availability with your potential supplier and see if your address is serviceable by them.

Once that's established and you're ready to place an order with them, you'd also need to notify your current supplier (us) that you wish to leave and move to a different provider.

To do this, you need to speak with our Cancellations Team at 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a VM landline).
Please, be aware we do require a 30 days' notice for disconnections to complete.

For a landline, you'd also need to port your number out in case you're keeping it.

Following this, you may be required to send your VM equipment back to us (depending on the model).
The VM equipment is not compatible with any other services, your new provider will offer their own for you to use once installed with them.

We hope this info helps, feel free to ask if you have for more questions too. 🙂

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@KD64 wrote:

If I was to move my Broadband from Virgin Media to another supplier, such as Sky, would I just be able to plug my Landline straight into the new supplier’s modem or, would I need to get some new equipment from the new supplier. For example Sky, unlike VM, uses the Openreach network. Sky’s website talks about having an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) in order to use a Landline with their Broadband.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. 

The way you would connect to Sky, would depend on the Openreach connection options available to you at your home.

If you have FTTP available then you would have an ONT device installed by Openreach (which provides the fibre connection to the home). You would plug a Sky router into that and the phone would plug into the Sky router.

If you have a conventional phone line connection you may plug into a telephone wall socket.

There is an interactive graphic below which shows you the different options for Sky

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/set-up-hub-which-sky-hub-do-you-have

As the national phone switchover programme continues

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

all suppliers will be gradually removing landline connections via conventional telephone sockets and moving to phone-via-router connections.

If you are considering Sky as a supplier, your best bet would be to phone them up and ask them how your services would be delivered if you chose them.

If you were moving your phone number over to Sky (porting) then you should make sure that your existing VM landline is working and it has no disconnection request pending on it as that would likely stop the number port happening. Check with Sky on the exact requirements for this.

Thanks for the quick reply Adri. Firstly, the only reason I am considering moving from VM is because the cost of my package is going to almost double when my current agreement ends in mid July and, following initial discussions I had with VM last week, there was no prospect at this stage of being offered a favourable deal to continue. Although my current contract doesn’t expire for over 3 months, I contacted VM now because I only have until the beginning of April to cancel without incurring a cancellation fee. The person I spoke to last week couldn’t even confirm how much cancellation would cost, which was a bit frustrating TBH. I’ve been told to call back just before the deadline in April to see if the situation has changed in respect of obtaining some significant discount against the proposed increase.

Exploring alternatives in the event I do cancel I have been impressed with some of the reviews of Sky Stream. My VM landline operates over the internet through my VM modem, whereby I have the Volt Gig 1 fibre broadband package. I have checked broadband availability online with Sky and currently their best offering is Superfast BB, 59 MB/S average speed. Significantly slower than my current VM BB but, sufficient enough for my needs so they say? Given all this, would I be able to plug my existing landline straight into the Sky modem.

Thanks again for your time.

Hi KD64,

There will be a Right To Cancel for all impacted customers, who can choose to cancel their contract within 30 days from receipt of their communication. Customers will not incur early disconnection fees if requesting their cancellation within this 30 day period.

Every customer will receive an individual price rise specific to them. If you wish to discuss your increase further, you can reach us online (virg.in/contactvm), by calling 150 from your Virgin Media landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.

Beth