cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline compensation

Fedup74
Tuning in

My landline didn’t work correctly from the 22nd November until the 10th January 2023, I was told that I would get automatic compensation but still waiting, this really is a joke, I have just had a bill again but no compensation. Fed up with Virgin, I spent hours on the phone to tech services who kept saying do this do that, I told them the problem was at Virgin not my end, when a engineer finally came he checked everything again and agreed the issue was Virgin not my equipment.

can’t wait until my contract finish as I won’t renew it again, I have been a loyal Virgin customer for years and this is how loyal customers are treated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Automatic compensation only applies to total loss of service.  So it wouldn't apply if for example you could only make outgoing call but couldn't receive them, or quality was so poor you couldn't make out words, or if the loss of service were repeated but intermittent.

You care entitled to compensation if you've had problems, even if they fall outside the definitions of the automatic compensation scheme, and to get it is a two stage process: 1) formal complaint to VM - this will be fobbed off, 2) Read and follow guidance from Ombudsman Services as to how to escalate the matter to them.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Automatic compensation only applies to total loss of service.  So it wouldn't apply if for example you could only make outgoing call but couldn't receive them, or quality was so poor you couldn't make out words, or if the loss of service were repeated but intermittent.

You care entitled to compensation if you've had problems, even if they fall outside the definitions of the automatic compensation scheme, and to get it is a two stage process: 1) formal complaint to VM - this will be fobbed off, 2) Read and follow guidance from Ombudsman Services as to how to escalate the matter to them.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Fedup74 wrote:

My landline didn’t work correctly from the 22nd November until the 10th January 2023, I was told that I would get automatic compensation but still waiting, this really is a joke, I have just had a bill again but no compensation. Fed up with Virgin, I spent hours on the phone to tech services who kept saying do this do that, I told them the problem was at Virgin not my end, when a engineer finally came he checked everything again and agreed the issue was Virgin not my equipment.

can’t wait until my contract finish as I won’t renew it again, I have been a loyal Virgin customer for years and this is how loyal customers are treated.

What exactly was the fault that you were experiencing?

Firstly for about 8 days we couldn’t dial out or receive calls, then after spending more time trying to sort the problem we could dial out but nobody could reach us as when you rang the line it rang unobtainable until the 10th January. We have venerable relations who rely on us and they can only contact us by phone or on my companies mobile phone.

Hi there @Fedup74 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have faced these issues regarding your loss of landline and you have not yet had compensation discussed. 

I would be happy to look into this with you a bit closer via a Private Message. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Fedup74 wrote:

Firstly for about 8 days we couldn’t dial out or receive calls, then after spending more time trying to sort the problem we could dial out but nobody could reach us as when you rang the line it rang unobtainable until the 10th January. We have venerable relations who rely on us and they can only contact us by phone or on my companies mobile phone.

If you have no phone service (line is dead) or one way phone transmission then that fits a 'total loss of service' for unplanned outages (para 16 below)

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/automatic-compensation

VM should have credited you within 30 days of the fault being repaired. In which case you would need to follow the complaint route described by Andrew-G at #2 (formal complaint to VM>>Ombudsman Services).