cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline charges after switch to digital?

Mrs_G1
On our wavelength

Hi,

My area is changing to digital voice in May (I’ve had numerous texts and emails repeating the fact over and over again!)

As landline’s will become obsolete, does this mean that landline charges will be taken off monthly bills? Surely we won’t need to pay for a landline when there won’t be one?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mrs_G1 wrote:

Hi,

My area is changing to digital voice in May (I’ve had numerous texts and emails repeating the fact over and over again!)

As landline’s will become obsolete, does this mean that landline charges will be taken off monthly bills? Surely we won’t need to pay for a landline when there won’t be one?

Thanks.

Often asked on here but, unfortunately, there is no reduction in package costs.

You are paying for a phone service and use of a phone number from VM. Both those things remain unchanged post switchover, just the manner of delivery that has changed.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mrs_G1 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

Often asked on here but, unfortunately, there is no reduction in package costs.

You are paying for a phone service and use of a phone number from VM. Both those things remain unchanged post switchover, just the manner of delivery that has changed.

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Mrs_G1 

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for your query.

We want to do our best to explain this for you. The way in which we deliver your landline to you will be through your hub https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone-Switchover/gh-p/Switchover This is a  change being made by major internet service providers as the old cooper system comes out of use. Even though it is delivered to you differently, you will still be charged for the ability to use the landline service. You can find out more here  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover?_gl=1*lhikzf*_ga*MzU4OTQ4NzM0LjE2Nzc5MjkwNTM.*_...

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mrs_G1 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

All that is being replaced in this switchover is the separate analogue copper line. This only goes as far as the local street fibre node.

You are still using:

The digital part of the system (which you always have been) between that node & your local cable headend.

The big expensive to run PSTN exchange at the headend that directs incoming & outgoing calls.

Full (cheaper) VoIP services will not start until 2025 when these exchanges are decomissioned.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks