cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline change - no broadband

GGJP
Joining in

Please could you help confirm something. I received a letter about having to change to a fibre phone shortly. I phoned and got my daughter, who also helps me run my account, to talk about what this entails as I do not have broadband, never have nor do I want it. The gentleman had to go and ask about this and came back and said that nothing would change with my landline as I do not have broadband and he would adjust my records accordingly. This seems to contradict a couple of forum questions about the same subject who were told they would still need a hub for the phone line to work! So confusing especially to an elderly gentleman and daughter! 
We would both be grateful for confirmation that no hub will be needed and the landline will still continue. Many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi GGJP,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

Sorry for any confusion with this, as our network is moving towards connecting our phoneline through our Hub, we wouldn't be able to cancel the switchover I'm afraid.

You would not need a broadband package for this however we will install your landline through a Hub box.

Has an appointment been booked for you yet? 

Thanks,

Kain

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This issue came up in a topic last week where it was clarified.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Fibre-phoneline/m-p/4950139#M162924

You would be provided with a VM hub which you would connect the phone to but the hub would not be set up for VM's broadband service

The switchover of traditional phone lines to connections via hubs/routers is happening for all providers including VM. It is part of an ongoing national process whose target date for completion is 2025. You can read about it at the links below

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone/switchover

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi GGJP,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

Sorry for any confusion with this, as our network is moving towards connecting our phoneline through our Hub, we wouldn't be able to cancel the switchover I'm afraid.

You would not need a broadband package for this however we will install your landline through a Hub box.

Has an appointment been booked for you yet? 

Thanks,

Kain

Hello and thanks for the replies. Disappointing that when we spoke to 150 they said differently hence no we didn’t book an appointment for an engineer but seems we will now have to. Thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@GGJP wrote:

Hello and thanks for the replies. Disappointing that when we spoke to 150 they said differently hence no we didn’t book an appointment for an engineer but seems we will now have to. Thanks

If you currently use telephone extension sockets around the home (connected from your existing telephone master socket) for wired phone connections, make sure you get VM to link your existing extension sockets to the phone connection from the hub as part of the switchover process. They should do this FOC as part of the switchover but you need to specifically request it so as enough time is allocated to your job. This is described in the links above.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies there GGJP, 

When did you receive notification of the switchover? Also when is the cutoff date

If you'd like I could arrange the appointment from here if it's easier.

Let us know and I'll drop you a PM.

Thanks again,

Kain

Thank you for your help. Just to ask but will we be able to choose a date and time for the appointment?

The letter was dated 18th February and total cut off date is 24th May although no calls out can be made after 7th April. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Our appointments work on timeslots and dates of your choosing GGJP,

I've dropped you a PM so we can get that sorted for you!

Thanks,

Kain