cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline call blocking & caller ID

john113
Dialled in

I am considering a call blocker for my landline phone system and understand Caller ID is now a free service by many providers including Virgin, at present none of my home phones have a display feature of any description, is caller ID already active on everyones system or has it to be activated on request ? The call blocker I am interested in is a stand alone unit with its own caller display

thanks for any info

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

That Panasonic model appears to be just a simple number blocking phone i.e. you have to enter individual numbers or number group prefixes to prevent the calls coming through. There is a limit of only 50 blocked numbers on the device.

Since the scam caller IDs are ever-changing with many millions of possible number combinations you will never be able to block all the potential scam numbers. Any blocking actions can only be applied once a nuisance call has come in (i.e. retrospectively). In all likelihood, you will not be called by the same scam caller ID ever again so any numbers you do enter as blocked numbers will probably never again be put into use against you and your block will never actually be applied (as any future scam caller ID numbers are likely to be different)

This is why a screening approach is better IMO than blocking (see #5 above for the difference between screening/blocking calls). Once you have entered your approved numbers into a screening device/phone then any other filtering is automatic, depending on how exactly you have set up the screening process and how severe you have set the screening criteria.

Have a look through the trueCall manual

http://www.truecall38.co.uk/manuals/callblocker.pdf

and you can see how it categorises the different types of incoming call and then allows you to customise a range of different responses to each type of call.

I think with the Panasonic KX-TGL324EB number blocking model you would not be any further forward than you are now in preventing the annoyance of the scam calls, as they would still come through uninterrupted if the only measure in place is simple number blocking.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Caller ID should be free and available on VM landlines. What device are you planning to buy?

What does your 'phone system' involve? Your post seems to be describing corded phones on extension sockets around the home. If so, you will need to arrange these to be wired through the new blocking device. Also keep in mind while you are planning any changes to your phone setup that, at some point in the near future, all phone lines will switching over to a main incoming connection from the back of the VM hub rather than a telephone master socket, if you don't use this new arrangement already.

Looking at something similar to the CPR V10000 blocker, the system I have is from a master phone socket with extensions feeding 3 corded phones & 1 phone/answer machine, none having an ID display. If the system has to be redesigned from the VM hub instead of the BT box will there be different design of wall sockets to take the different fittings. PS the VM hub and BT master sockets are 3 rooms apart

Hello john113

Thanks for taking the time to raise your query via the forums in regards to Caller ID and your current landline set up. 

As goslow has already advised, we can add the Caller ID feature for you for free from here, he is also correct that we are currently migrating customers from the current wall socket system to utilise the ability for the landline to work directly from the Hub itself. We'd recommend checking with any manufacturer that any equipment you may be looking to purchase is compatible with this method although the migration doesn't appear to have reached your area yet.

When this happens we will notify you in advance via letter or email. If you would like us to add the Caller ID feature please let us know and I will send you a Private Message to get some more details from you 🙂

Rob

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@john113 wrote:

Looking at something similar to the CPR V10000 blocker, the system I have is from a master phone socket with extensions feeding 3 corded phones & 1 phone/answer machine, none having an ID display. If the system has to be redesigned from the VM hub instead of the BT box will there be different design of wall sockets to take the different fittings. PS the VM hub and BT master sockets are 3 rooms apart

Some comments which might help you in the decision-making process ...

Firstly, call blockers generally are designed to work best with a cordless phone setup (blocker plugged into the main/master socket, cordless base station plugged into the blocker and cordless satellite handsets used elsewhere, as required). That way, all calls are processed through the blocker device and calls are screened appropriately.

Can't say I have tried any CPR products so the following comments are based only on what I can read about them online rather than any practical experience of actually using them. As a result, I may be off the mark in how they work! As far as I can see, the CPR V10000 model does not have its own power supply. It relies on the voltage of the phone line to power it. If you are planning to add more extensions through the blocker, then this might be an issue as, from your description, you will be going beyond the 4 devices a line can reliably carry (4 existing devices plus the call blocker). When you are eventually moved to a phone connection from the VM hub, it has been mentioned on here in the past that the recommended number of devices in that arrangement is only 2.

The CPR Call Blocker units do get mentions on the forums here for various issues relating to connection on a VM line (as far as I can tell, past topics seem to be something to do with some VM landlines not providing adequate voltage to run the devices). Most recent topic mentioned was this one

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/CPR-call-blocker/m-p/4865060

Second key point is the difference between 'blocking' calls and 'screening' them. The CPR range of devices seem to be blocking devices using caller ID to block or allow specific numbers or particular types of caller ID (e.g., withheld, international etc.). This is a bit of a blunt method IMO and may result in over or under blocking. Using the 'block' button on the device seems to be unnecessarily labour intensive, especially as the caller ID for many scam calls is ever-changing and so trying to block individual numbers is a never-ending task.

Devices which screen the calls issue a spoken challenge to unknown callers which is usually to state who they are and then press a specific key on the phone keypad. The automated robocalls, which make up most of the scam calls, cannot respond to this and so the screening device drops the call without ringing the phone in the home. If a caller does get through the screening process, the home phone rings and the homeowner hears the caller's spoken announcement and can decide whether to accept or drop/block the call (without speaking to the caller). IMO this method has the advantage of not having to administer large amounts of blocked or trusted lists of numbers. Trusted numbers can be programmed into a screening unit and these bypass the screening process and ring straight through. Savvy scammers won't waste time going through this screening process they will simply try another less-protected number.

I have been using this trueCall device

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

for the last 18 months which has 100% eliminated the scam calls via the screening process above. I use it with a basic cordless phone setup.

Disadvantage of the trueCall device is its cost. It is probably the most expensive device of its kind. It is, however, highly customisable. For example, a couple of topics on here have mentioned issues with the trueCall device not responding to VM's particular call ID on some customers' lines and trueCall support were able to remotely access the trueCall unit to customise the settings to match VM's caller ID. You can read the trueCall manual here

to see how it functions.

IMO, you should probably consider borrowing a phone with display and making a test call to see if you do have caller ID on your line at present (no blocker will work without it). If you need it adding, VM can do that for you via the VM forum team on here.

Once you have caller ID working, consider getting a cordless phone setup with sufficient handsets to cover your needs. You can use the cordless setup with a standalone blocker device. I would recommend the trueCall device if that is an option for you. The trueCall also acts as an answering machine so the cordless phones do not need to have that feature. In this arrangement, you will be able to move the setup to a phone connection from the VM hub when that time comes with minimal hassle. Some BT phone models do have trueCall technology built in as an alternative to a separate screening device but it is a 'lite' version of the trueCall standalone device and not as customisable.

Sounds like your property is a large one if you currently require 3 extensions separated by 3 rooms from the hub so there might possibly be a potential issue with a cordless phone coverage, depending on where exactly the base station was installed. The trueCall unit does have its own power supply and the trueCall manual advises that 4 extension sockets can be run from the unit (if cordless phone signals through the property proved to be problematic). Making up a suitable wiring arrangement to link the trueCall unit to the existing extension sockets might be a fiddly task though.

Even with some careful planning, installing new equipment may not be without its issues and you may run into problems with some of the kit. Buy from somewhere with a good returns policy so if you hit some tech issues, or you simply don't get on with using the devices, you can return them for a refund and find an alternative.

You have got me looking at the cordless range of DECT phones and I have chosen to go with the Panasonic KX-TGL324EB with call blocker and answer phone, instead of a stand alone system and my old wired phone,  from reading its statistics it has better voice quality than the BT selection & comes with 4 phones, I am sure I read somewhere it would be compatible with the VolP changeover which many on sale are not, does this sound ok ?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

That Panasonic model appears to be just a simple number blocking phone i.e. you have to enter individual numbers or number group prefixes to prevent the calls coming through. There is a limit of only 50 blocked numbers on the device.

Since the scam caller IDs are ever-changing with many millions of possible number combinations you will never be able to block all the potential scam numbers. Any blocking actions can only be applied once a nuisance call has come in (i.e. retrospectively). In all likelihood, you will not be called by the same scam caller ID ever again so any numbers you do enter as blocked numbers will probably never again be put into use against you and your block will never actually be applied (as any future scam caller ID numbers are likely to be different)

This is why a screening approach is better IMO than blocking (see #5 above for the difference between screening/blocking calls). Once you have entered your approved numbers into a screening device/phone then any other filtering is automatic, depending on how exactly you have set up the screening process and how severe you have set the screening criteria.

Have a look through the trueCall manual

and you can see how it categorises the different types of incoming call and then allows you to customise a range of different responses to each type of call.

I think with the Panasonic KX-TGL324EB number blocking model you would not be any further forward than you are now in preventing the annoyance of the scam calls, as they would still come through uninterrupted if the only measure in place is simple number blocking.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi john113

Please let us know if you need help withy anything else at all 

Gareth_L

I take on board what you are saying and yes the system you described does fit the bill better, but just how essential is it for phones to be VoiP compatible, the Panasonic or gigaset 4 pack units I was interested in states on the Ligo site that neither are VoiP phones, in fact very few cordless phones on sale are

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The VOIP terminology is not being used correctly to describe the phone connection from the back of the hub in its present format. The VM phone connection from the back of the hub is not a VOIP connection.

The 'TEL1' connection on the back of the hub is designed to provide a connection for a normal standard telephone. In fact, in a past post it was highlighted that the phone connection via the hub still connects to the same exchange equipment at present

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/VOIP/m-p/4559639#M146330

VM advise that an ordinary, modern, standard telephone should be fine. It is just the manner of delivering the VM landline service that is changing at present (i.e. the TEL1 socket on the back of the hub provides the landline service rather than a telephone master socket on the wall)

In my own phone setup (not via the hub yet but could be easily moved to that setup when required) I have the trueCall unit plugged into the master socket. I have the base station of an ordinary cordless phone setup plugged into the trueCall unit. I have a satellite cordless phone elsewhere in the house. In this way, all phones are fed and screened via the trueCall device.

I have disabled the answering machine on the cordless phone setup and I use the answering machine in the trueCall unit. That way the answering machine and screening process are integrated together. I have a missed call indicator set up on the cordless phone system.

If a call comes in and passes the trueCall screening test, the home phone rings. If I am not there to answer it, it goes to the trueCall answering machine. A light flashes on the trueCall device and the cordless phones flash a missed call indicator. The trueCall can also be set (on or off) to beep if a message is waiting. The trueCall answering machine message can be accessed either from the trueCall unit direct or via the keypad of any of the cordless phones, listening on the phone handset.

The screening I have set up in the trueCall is that anyone not logged as a contact in the trueCall has to press a key on the phone keypad and say who they are. Known contacts in the trueCall ring straight through. This means that anyone who has got as far as the answering machine (or ringing my phone) is either an approved contact or has completed the screening process. So far zero scam calls have made it through.

It would probably be possible to replicate something similar with Panasonic handsets. You have listed a KX-TGL324EB model but I can't find any search info on that (there is a KX-TGJ324EB and a KX-TGD324EB model though).

The BT phone ranges incorporating trueCall features combine the setup into one phone device but without the same level of fine-grain customisation and configuration as above. As you have correctly identified, a minority of the reviews on BT phone ranges do highlight some random and unexplained faults such as poor sound quality, phones suddenly stopping ringing or stopping working at all. This may be an issue to do with production issues or build quality for some of those phones.

As mentioned previously though on this topic, your individual home setup may not work in exactly the same way so buying from somewhere with a good returns policy is important to ensure you can return any equipment if you run into any unexpected technical problems.