cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline adaptor needed for Hub 3

christine-dobb1
Tuning in

I do hope someone might be able to help me and point me to a VM link that can deal with my request. I had a Hub 3 in January, replacing myHub 1. The technician said I'd need to re-contact VM to be able to plug in my VM land-line (never used before, as I was with BT, now cancelled). I have a Panasonic phone, a VM phone number, and looking through this Community Forum, I believe I just need the adaptor. All advice very much appreciated. Many thanks, Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that certainly makes the story a bit more complicated! If I was to make a guess, it would be that your phone socket (now behind the freezer) is where you would need to plug in the phone if that was the condition left by the last technician.

Wait for the VM forum team to pick this up. From their systems they should be able to tell if your phone connection is via a traditional wall socket or can be made via the hub. Connecting the phone via the hub may be 'subject to availability' for a particular VM area. You may need to have the phone extension socket re-routed or reconnected if the phone connection on the hub can't be enabled. There would probably be a charge of £99 from VM to modify your phone extension wiring to an accessible location to plug in.

Wait for the VM forum team staff to pick this up. They should typically respond in a day or two. They should be able to advise on your setup and what the best means is to get the phone working and to book a technician if necessary. If you get a technician to visit, you can also ask him/her about your settings password for the hub and how to access it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you log into the VM hub, do you see that the telephone is ready/enabled on the welcome screen? Should look something similar to the screenshot below

https://setuprouter.com/router/virgin-media/virgin-media-hub-3/setup-75194-large.htm

If so, you should just need the adapter.

The VM forum team can often arrange to have one dropped off by a passing VM technician. The forum team will normally respond on here in a day or two to advise.

Thank you, Goslow, You are star. Just working out how to log in to the VM hub, screen shot very useful. I'll get back to you with a reply once I've cracked it.

Using a device such as a laptop or PC, with a network cable from the computer plugged direct into the VM hub, is the most reliable way to try to access the VM hub's settings.

If you can use that method, try entering http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser, which should bring up the login screen for the hub

Refer below to the SETTINGS password highlighted in red in the link below, (NOT the wi-fi password)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-configure-advanced-settings-on-your-hub#hub3orhub4

The SETTINGS password should be on a sticker or pull-out card on the bottom or side of the hub.

Once you are logged in, check the status of the telephone on the 'Welcome' page.

(You also can try the above from a mobile device, since you are just checking the telephone status rather than changing anything, but a wired connection is usually most reliable.)

I must admit to feeling a little bit like an idiot - sadly not an uncommon feeling 😉 To add a bit of background, the Hub itself works just fine. I tried to follow the screen shot instructions (entering http... etc. as instructed), but my sticker is different to the one pictured in your mail. I can't upload a screen shot, but it doesn't have the sticker below the two with the WiFi network or WIFi password sticker, nor on the sticker on the pull-out card. Based on this, might it be an idea to request the VW team drops an adaptor by and fingers crossed it will work? Many thanks again!

No worries, logging in problems are not uncommon on the forum.

For logging in, try this YouTube video

https://youtu.be/TzNdsYtoUCI?t=9

You only need to view the first 1 min 25 sec of the video to see the login process and access the 'Welcome' screen which should show you if the telephone is enabled or not.

In your first post you mentioned that 'The technician said I'd need to re-contact VM to be able to plug in my VM land-line'.

Since you were using a BT line at the time, the tech might not have fully provisioned the landline feature via the hub. If that is the case, then the adapter alone won't get you a phone connection, unfortunately.

Replicating what is shown in the video .....

If you have a card or sticker on the bottom of the hub (even if it doesn't look like the examples) go to the http://192.168.0.1 web page, which will connect you to the hub.

Enter the SETTINGS password from the sticker (ignore anything to do with wi-fi info/passwords) and see if you can access the hub's 'Welcome' page to check if telephony is ready/enabled.

If you still don't have any luck, you'll need for the VM forum team to pick this up. They may be able to use their remote systems to do the checks and see if your hub is provisioned for telephone. They will pick up your query in a day or two (most likely from Monday as it is a weekend now).

This is really very kind of you, goslow, and thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, here's the longer story. I had the VM landline as part of the package (never used, but tested at installation and was OK), with the wall socket at the time. Due to renovating/refurbishing the house, this socket is now behind the hard-wired freezer in the kitchen. I cancelled the BT landline a while back. With highly unreliable internet access, it took 6 weeks before I was able to get the help to have the technician to replace the Hub1. During his visit, I questioned the access to the VM landline, thinking I'd need a new wall socket, but recently a friend mentioned I only needed to plug it in at the back of the Hub 3. 

I've watched the video and tried the IP address again, and can't find a password that isn't WiFi related anywhere, including the paperwork the technician left me with. 

It seems to me (very much a lay-person) that I need another tech visit. Would you know how I could go about this, please? During my first attempt to have the hub replaced, I was in an SMS queue from 11 December, 24/7, and finally had a response after posting my situation on Twitter on 19 December. Any tips for getting a tech visit organised via a link would be *GREATLY* appreciated.

Many thanks again, also for your time.

Yes, that certainly makes the story a bit more complicated! If I was to make a guess, it would be that your phone socket (now behind the freezer) is where you would need to plug in the phone if that was the condition left by the last technician.

Wait for the VM forum team to pick this up. From their systems they should be able to tell if your phone connection is via a traditional wall socket or can be made via the hub. Connecting the phone via the hub may be 'subject to availability' for a particular VM area. You may need to have the phone extension socket re-routed or reconnected if the phone connection on the hub can't be enabled. There would probably be a charge of £99 from VM to modify your phone extension wiring to an accessible location to plug in.

Wait for the VM forum team staff to pick this up. They should typically respond in a day or two. They should be able to advise on your setup and what the best means is to get the phone working and to book a technician if necessary. If you get a technician to visit, you can also ask him/her about your settings password for the hub and how to access it.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, christine-dobb1,

From what I'm reading of the conversation there are two issues:

Does the hub have a sticker? All hubs should have a sticker and documentation to tell you what your default local network information is

Do you have regular phone services or DOCSIS [Hub-based] landline service? I can check this for you, and I've sent you a private message to confirm but from what I'm already gathering from this conversation, it's very unlikely that you have it or your would have recalled some conversation centred around using the phone with the hub. It's more than adapter you need, the  backend needs to be changed over as well, which we cannot do from within the forums.

Cheers,

Corey C

Thank you again, goslow. You've been an amazing help. As you suggest, I'll wait to be contacted. A complex story indeed. Thank you.