cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Phone not ringing

chrisric
Tuning in

Hi, I am having a problem with my land line phone which is not ringing for incoming calls.  Phone is connected to a wall socket, not the hub.  Although I do have broadband, the phone line is and has always been separate. The phone doesn’t ring for incoming calls but if I lift the handset the call connects & outgoing calls are fine.  Have tested with a dect phone with multiple handsets, but also a basic trim phone - neither ring.  I have tried 150 and they have not been able to help.  Not sure where else to try.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

14 REPLIES 14

@Carley_S

Our router Superhub 1 (VMDG480) does not have a landline socket.  I forgot to mention that the customer service agent said that our local exchange has not yet been upgraded to allow VOIP.  We have not upgraded our Superhub for fear of disabling old (Windows XP) equipment.

Ah, my apologies for the confusion @clarihorn

Can you confirm if you're phoneline is plugged into the main master socket, an extension?

How many pieces of equipment are connected to the phone line other than the phone itself?

• Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Do you know if the it's just landline phones that cannot call your number or just mobiles? What happens when you call the landline from your mobile or another landline?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

@Carley_S

Yes, phone is plugged into master socket.  All other pieces of equipment have been disconnected (although the phone used to work well with 2 cable phones and a DECT system).

A landline call just now produced only a faint bleeping on the only remaining cable phone as described earlier.

I've tried calling my landline from a mobile, with exactly the same result.

Thank you for trying this @clarihorn

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security to investigate further. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Thanks so much for your private message @clarihorn, I have now booked you a visit for landline issue – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Here to help 🙂
Carley