cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Phone not ringing

chrisric
Tuning in

Hi, I am having a problem with my land line phone which is not ringing for incoming calls.  Phone is connected to a wall socket, not the hub.  Although I do have broadband, the phone line is and has always been separate. The phone doesn’t ring for incoming calls but if I lift the handset the call connects & outgoing calls are fine.  Have tested with a dect phone with multiple handsets, but also a basic trim phone - neither ring.  I have tried 150 and they have not been able to help.  Not sure where else to try.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

14 REPLIES 14

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi chrisric,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing issues with your landline not receiving incoming calls.

We appreciate that you have already tried some diagnostics, which is great.

As you advised you have already tried another handset, can we ask if you have unplugged all extension sockets and tried the basic handset in the master socket on it's own? 

Has this made any difference at all?

We also need to ask if you have the volume turned up high? (We know this is probably the first thing you have checked but we have to confirm).

Please let me know and we can assist you further.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi

We only have a single wall socket.

The volume is set to High.

And just to clarify, I can receive calls if I know someone is calling, it's just the phone does not ring.

Really appreciate you trying to help.

Thanks

Chris

Thanks for clearing that up chrisric,

Apologies for any confusion. Due to the nature of this fault, we are going to have to arrange a technicians visit for you to get this resolved.

So I can do this, I will pop you over a private message to confirm your details. Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi

I have done this.  Please let me know if not received.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi chrisric,

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

The technician diagnoses the fault as not being caused by our network/equipment 
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Engineer said it would be an issue with the local exchange box.  Swapped phone over to run from Hub and now all fine.

Thankyou so much for your help Jodi.  I hope other people can find this helpful community site to save them wasting their time with 150 'helpline', and the send you round in circles website.

Hi @chrisric

Thank you for returning to update us following your appointment! Really pleased we were able to get this sorted for you. 
Will pass on your thanks internally to Jodi! 
Do let us know if there is anything further we can do to support you in future. 

All the best. 

Molly

clarihorn
On our wavelength

@Molly_T, @Jodi_S

I have exactly the same problem - no issue with outgoing calls, but modern DECT system is not ringing for incoming calls, and the answerphone is not kicking in.  No change if all other extensions disconnected.  I get a faint bleep out of an old cabled phone.

I reported this by phone to 150 week beginning 4 July.  Excellent customer service on the phone, and not too long a wait, and agent said that there was a fault showing at the local exchange, which would be fixed in 7 days.  If the fault was not fixed, I should ring again, and in the meantime to keep my mobile on to receive a call from an engineer.

I have been away since and not able to follow this up, but I've received no contact by mobile and the fault is still present a month later.

I see no point in ringing 150 and going round this loop again.

Please contact me about fixing this fault in the way you did succesfully for the customer on this thread.

Thanks

Geoff

Hi @clarihorn

Welcome back to the community 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your landline at this time. 

If your landline connects into the back of the router please  try a 60 second pin hole reset on the router. This will revert any customisations back to factory settings and full update the router with firmware/software updates. Please do not reboot the router whilst it is completing the pin hole request.

Let me know if this has resolved the issue.  ~CS~

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley