cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Fibre Switch June 2023

rowdyangel
On our wavelength

Hi all,

had email from VM today saying that from 1st June 2023 we will need to use the adapter they are going to send to us to accommodate the landline switch to fibre.

Our phone is located downstairs, our wifi hub is upstairs.  Where our wifi hub is located we have no phone socket and no spare electric socket to plug in a phone (the phone is one with a base that has an integrated answer machine and we have 2 hands-free phones in addition).  We can't relocate our wifi hub due to the location of several devices hard-wired to it and our home office set up for working from home.

Does anyone know how we can get around this?  TIA.

32 REPLIES 32

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Ashg 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your adapter setup.

I'll drop you a private message now to collect some more details and look to get this sorted for you, please keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@unisoft wrote:

@Ashg wrote:

@goslow wrote:

@Ashg wrote:

OK you don't understand my problem. I have two phones in my house. One is the main phone which has to be plugged into the mains. The other is the wireless phone connected to the main phone. Yes I understand where the adaptor plugs into my Hub 3. As I explained I don't want my phone in the room where my Hub is because there is nowhere to plug it in or put it. My multi point extension is full with items that have to remain pugged in all the time! Putting a standard phone in that room is not a option as we would never hear it from another room and I hate corded phones anyway!

Question.."Have you got any spare ethernet structured cable runs from your hub location to a different part of your home? If so, use a patch lead kit like this." Answer...Yes going to a Ethernet switch in another room upstairs and downstairs. Both are in the wrong part of the room for that item in the link to be helpful unless I get a 15 metre cable 🙄. I just spend many hours hiding all my surround sound cables in that room and there is no room for one more cable in the trunking and as for any background noise that may cause in my system 😕

In the scenario you describe, where you cannot possibly change anything at all about your current arrangements/setup whatsoever, then you do, indeed, have a problem.

It's looking like my only fix is plug-in the adaptor and run a cable from there outside and back into my house through the wall and to where my phone is now 🙄

VM were offering free engineer visits to run additional telephone cabling from the adapter in the hub to an extension point in another location. Not sure if that's expired now. Perhaps the forum staff can pick it up....

Yes I did read that.  Mine would have to go from the Hub 3 then outside to the main point where the line goes into my house. I wasn't sure an "extension point meant that as the term is a bit confusing. I would hope that would be free because I didn't ask for all these problems   

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Ashg 

Thanks for your post

If you can respond to the private message I've sent you, we'll get this sorted for you free-of-charge 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

Engineer came today and did the wiring. He couldn't get it to work and I now have no phone! Was told someone else should come tomorrow to fix it but I've heard nothing to confirm it apart from word of mouth! No pending jobs are now showing on my account yet this job is not complete!

I was told I should have just connected my phone to the Hub....NO that is not what I want and  as this is a service that VM offer the staff should know how to do the job! Staff training?!

I was also told I should have waited until my land line was cut off before asking for this to be done 😡

Hi @Ashg 

Really sorry to hear that the engineer was not able to fully complete the work for your landline to work with your requested set up. I can see that you are in private message with my colleague. If you private message them with any further queries or issues, they'll be able to support further and investigate when your follow up appointment will be. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

@Carley_S wrote:

Hi @Ashg 

Really sorry to hear that the engineer was not able to fully complete the work for your landline to work with your requested set up. I can see that you are in private message with my colleague. If you private message them with any further queries or issues, they'll be able to support further and investigate when your follow up appointment will be. 

Thank you I have done that .

Still no contact from VM in any form! So I've no idea when an engineer is coming .

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Ashg 

Thanks for your response

I've provided you an update via your inbox if you can check on that for me please 🙂 Thank you for your patience with this

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

@Travis_M wrote:

Hi @Ashg 

Thanks for your response

I've provided you an update via your inbox if you can check on that for me please 🙂 Thank you for your patience with this

Regards

Yes I got the message. My patience is now gone as I still have no working phone connection!

Hi @Ashg,

If you haven't done so already, please respond to the last message you received from my colleague as advised and they'll be happy to help you as best as they can.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!