cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Engaged from other landlines but not mobiles.

SteveT9
Joining in

Can anyone assist, we think for about a week now every time someone tries to call our landline from another landline they tell me the phone is engaged.

When they try on a mobile they can get through though, I can make out going calls back to said landlines but again they cannot get back.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @SteveT9

Thank you so much for your first post to or community forums and welcome to the team! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you have been facing this issue with your landline! 

Can I check is this a phone plugged into the Hub or the wall socket? Have you been able to try an alternative handset on the line at all?

Thank you.

Hi there, sadly don’t have another handset to try (had no issues with this one for 3 years), The phone is plugged into the hub. I do use a separate router but again that’s been the same since it was installed 3 years ago.

No problem thank you SteveT9. 

Can I just ask if you have tested all the cables are attached securely and has the Hub been rebooted since this has happened as well? 

Thank you. 

Hi, yeah I have done a reboot of the hub, but not today (today was the latest someone has told me it’s been engaged), and yes I’ve checked the cables. It does seem odd why mobiles can get through but landline’s cannot.

OK no problem, thank you so much for checking and confirming for me.

I will send you a PM now so we can take a closer look.

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message received.

Thank you. 

Hello @SteveT9

Thanks so much for your private message, I have now booked you a visit for your phone line – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you.

So to update anyone that may have read the thread, an engineer attended and spent an hour at my address. He found no faults and said it must be a BT issue. He checked the line, modem, made calls to it/from it.

Whilst here we got some one on a BT landline out of area to call, and they got through, and someone out of area on a virgin media line to call and they got through. We could also call back any number.

Anyone on an 01923 (Watford) area code from BT still cannot call through to the landline and gets an engaged tone. A fault with BT was raised by those people and BT said it must be a Virgin Media problem. This seems to have started on 02/01/22. Other than my number for example if someone from 01923 on a BT line calls another Virgin landline example the local estate agents they also get an engaged tone, so its not just my number. Also if they try and make up a number with the same prefix they don't get "this number has not been recognised" they get the engaged tone. Anyway if anyone was reading or interested this is the update. Still not working BT and Virgin believe its the other. Currently "downgrading" removing Landline and TV from my package - this took 5 hours (1 hour trying to get through on 150, then switching to web chat where for 3hrs 57mins total  got offered upgrades and packages that were "best for me" even though I knew what I wanted. )

Apologies I won't post anymore on this.

Hi SteveT9

Thank you though for the updated reply 

Sorry again for the stress and inconvenience this may have caused you 

Gareth_L