cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Land-line number not ported over

Fizzle1
Joining in

So I asked for my land-line number to be ported over two months ago and then again a week before my switch date.

Spoke to customer services who said there was no port request. Logged a complaint as sky services ended and land-line is gone. Complaints team called me and said they had port requests but nothing happened and are blaming sky. Does anyone know the correct procedure of a number port? Feel like they're fobbing me off and blaming sky when they've lost a number we've had for 30 years. Wouldn't have switched if the number couldn't be ported over which is what I said on the call. 

5 REPLIES 5

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Fizzle1, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to hear this.

A number port can take up to 14 working days and both numbers need to active from both sides, so for example since you are coming to use you would tell us you want to port this number over, you would give us the number and we would request this.

This can take up to 14 days and as long as the number is still active on Sky end this shouldn't be a problem, if the number wasn't active unfortunately this wouldn't be possible to do. 

I can also see you've spoke to the team since this call, did they manage to explain this at all? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks for the reply Matthew. 

So when I asked for the port (on two occasions) the number was active but virgin media didn't complete the port. They're blaming sky and saying they requested for the port and "for some reason" sky didn't accept it. I was just wondering if this was possible at all? The number was active at that time. It seems they're trying to blame sky for their own incompetence. I gave plenty of notice when I asked for the port.

The porting time wasn't explained to me when I first signed up to virgin media. So when I asked what day I should switch over they said 5 days before my service with sky ends. When does the port usually start? I'm assuming well before activation? 

There has been known to be issues where they could reject it, have you spoke to Sky at all?

If so what did they say, also is this number still active?, if so I can try and the port the number again.

It would start the next working day if it was requested. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

So sky have said they had no requests when I spoke to them. The number is now inactive but virgin media rep said we could still try and they have a port request through that's due to complete 5th June but tbh I don't believe them as they've lied in the past. 

Okay thank you for letting me know.

If the number is not active it most likely can't be done but again the team will try to get this done we can't just promise anything.

Please do keep us updated on this. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?